Author Topic: General workout invitation  (Read 4508 times)

Offline Bedwyr

General workout invitation
« on: November 16, 2010, 01:52:08 PM »
Ok, so y'all know I'm newly obsessed with Crossfit, a conditioning program marked by short duration, high (sometimes very high) intensity.  It's a blast (when it's over).  I usually go in the evenings between 6 and 8 with Tyler, a workout partner and X-fit trainer.  Consider this a general invitation if you want to mix it in with your rides, offseason training, etc.  I'm still figuring out how to mix these workouts with endurance training and still working with you guys on my schedule... will advise when I know more.

Main website workout:
Hang power snatch 1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1 reps

Substitute due to the Wellness Center being poopy about bumper plates and olympic lifting:
Some kind of rowing/running combination.  Usually something like 1000meters + 5k for time but there might be other distances or going back-and-forth multiple rounds.

5 times for time
500m row
400m run

Time:
8pm when I get done with HW.  I'll likely be in late.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 05:51:04 PM by Bedwyr »

Offline Mario

• Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired
  • UND
  • Crossing around
Re: General workout invitation
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 03:29:54 PM »
Way to go Michael, get those guys to do some work!
The minimum number of bikes one should own is three.  The correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned.  This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.

Offline Bedwyr

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 04:04:49 PM »
0:21:37

Bleah.  I must not have been fueled right.  The last 400m dogged me.

Tomorrow's workout:

Accelerated spin class.

AND/OR

Complete as many rounds as possible in 20 minutes of:
30 second Handstand hold
30 second Squat hold
30 second L-sit hold
30 second Chin over bar hold
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 11:05:36 AM by Bedwyr »

Offline Bedwyr

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 11:11:42 AM »
Sanders, that girl you guys were talking about was there.  And yes, on the last hill I got resistance cranked up until the wheel started binding and I couldn't pedal.

Sprints: stayed between 155-180rpm.  Good hard work.

Today's workout:

Hang power clean 3-3-3-3-3-3-3 reps

Offline Bedwyr

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 09:26:58 PM »
Stayed at 95lb the whole time and just worked on form and technique.  I like my spinal disks and I think I'll keep them where they are.  Form first.  Weight later.  Not quite getting my elbows up high enough when racking the barbell, but it's coming.  Starting to get a feel for the explosiveness needed to get the weight up to shoulder height.

edit: Screw it.  My friend Ken just came in and I think I'm going to run some hillwork with him and I just can't refused the guy.

Tomorrow's workout:

Officially a rest day, but today didn't really take anything out of me.  Since apparently everybody's going to be at Accel. Spin, I might just try and work a couple extra hours on Saturday and join y'all.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 09:35:02 PM by Bedwyr »

Offline Bedwyr

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 07:17:55 PM »
Went 'spinning' with the crew.  Good to see you guys.  Apologies to the Wellness staff if I did anything to damage the rower.  It was fun.

Tomorrow's workout:

Seven rounds for time of:
5 Handstand push-ups
185 pound Deadlift, 10 reps
10 Chest to bar pull-ups
20 Double-unders

I'll definitely be scaling this one.  It'll probably be pike pushes, lower weight deadlift, regular kipping pullups, and fewer double-unders.  Fewer rounds too?  Sheesh that one's gonna be nasty.

This will be at Crossfit 701 in Fargo.  They'll be open from 10am to 12pm.  If anyone wants to join me, I'd be happy to give a ride down there (and wouldn't mind the company at all).  I forget whether there are single-session rates, but I'm sure Allison can make some kind of arrangement.  I'll try to leave GF around 9am.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 05:33:28 PM by Bedwyr »

Offline Bedwyr

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 05:45:57 PM »
Ended up working technique on cleans and snatches and tried working on chest-to-bar pullups (I strung four together).  I'm told that if I can do 10 chest-to-bars and 10 ring dips, I'm ready for a muscle-up

Learned on the snatch: 1) Hip drive and shoulder shrug are the primary drivers.  Muscling through with arms will result in a failure or even injury.  2) Very explosive.  If the bar doesn't have significant momentum by chest-height, the movement will fail.  3) Cannot do a snatch of any kind of weight cold.  You have to be warmed up.

Tomorrow's workout:

Rest day.  Will transition to workouts Mon, Tues, Wed, Fri, Sat with rest days Thurs, Sun.  Going to stay at least a day behind the main site and start looking at integrating CF Endurance for two-a-day workouts.

Offline Bedwyr

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 06:14:22 PM »
Well before we were so rudely interrupted by that crazed fowl wielding the (very) sharp cutlery, we were doing metabolic conditioning and strength workouts weren't we?

Yeah I had a few high-stress days that took me out of the loop and then Thanksgiving hit.  And to boot I pulled something in my back on Wed. that's going to keep me from doing pullups for awhile.

Either way, those of you in town are invited to join me at the Wellness center tomorrow afternoon.  I'm thinking around 2pm.  Three things: Tyler's not with me so no complex movements or olympic style lifts.  Since my back's busted, I can't do half the overhead stuff like pullups, overhead squats, and such.  I've verified that I probably can do thrusters.  I also don't want to mix weights and running/biking/rowing.  Not that *I* don't want to, but Wellness people yell at us for taking weights upstairs.  Go figure.

So... I think I'll do a repeat of the workout Sanders and I did.  We can stay on the weight floor for this one.

AMRAP: As Many Rounds As Possible in 20 minutes of...

10 thrusters 45lb
10 GHD Sit -ups
10 Back extensions

Alternate:

Row 500 meter
40 Air Squats
30 Situps
20 Pushups
10 Situps

This is kind of a baseline to see where you are and what you think you're capable of.  Like the previous one it's done against the clock.

Oh and RSVP this thread if you're gonna be there.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 06:27:30 PM by Bedwyr »

Offline Bedwyr

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 03:28:23 PM »
Well *I* had fun.

10 full rounds and 1 set thrusters just like last time.  I wasn't quite as winded this time and I probably could have pushed it harder.  Oh well.

From doing Wall-Ball shots (16 and 20lb), I think the thrusters are easier.  It's probably because the explosiveness needed to get the medicine ball 15 feet into the air is much greater.  Hence maybe an extra 10-20lb would be called for on the barbell?  Dunno.

Offline Bedwyr

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 12:05:28 PM »
Sometime this evening:

Tabata Weighted pull-up, 30 pound dumbbell
Rest 1 minute
Tabata Weighted squat, 45 pound plate
Rest 1 minute
Tabata Weighted ring dip, 30 pound dumbbell
Rest 1 minute
Tabata Deadlift, 165 pound barbelll

The Tabata interval is 20 seconds of work followed by 10 seconds of rest for 8 intervals.
Tabata score is the least number of reps performed in any of the eight intervals.

Scaled workouts are:

Tabata Weighted pull-up, 15 pound dumbbell
Rest 1 minute
Tabata Weighted squat, 35 pound plate
Rest 1 minute
Tabata Weighted ring dip, 15 pound dumbbell
Rest 1 minute
Tabata Deadlift, 125 pound barbell

Tabata Pull-up (beginner or assisted okay)
Rest 1 minute
Tabata Weighted squat, 10-15 pound plate
Rest 1 minute
Tabata Dips or assisted dips
Rest 1 minute
Tabata Deadlift, 25-35 pound kettlebell or barbell

I'm now one day behind to better match CF Endurance programming.  I will more than likely NOT be doing pullups tonight to give my back time to heal.

Tomorrow is a running WOD.  1600m, then 1200m, then 800m, then 400m.  I may be doing my own workout: a test to see if I'm ready to run a popular hiking trail near North Bend, WA. called Mt. Si.  The trail is 4 miles gaining about 4000 feet pretty steadily.  I'll probably run on a treadmill 4 miles between 10-13 % grade, slow jog.  If I make it, I'm ready.

Offline Bedwyr

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 07:56:29 PM »
Last night:

3 rounds for time of:
10 thrusters ~45lb depending on what that bar at NHRG is.
100m lunge-walk with 35lb overhead.
10 double-unders
20 pushups.

18 minutes.

Logan did a modified version in about 13 minutes was it?  Either way he rocked it.

Tonight I did:

4 miles on the treadmill, 15% grade (max for the treadmill), 4.5 mph with 1.5 minute rest between miles.  That was my dry run for Mt. Si in North Bend.

Tomorrow:

3 rounds for time of:
500m row
21 burpees
400m run

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic
anything