Author Topic: Tri transitions  (Read 2384 times)

Offline Bedwyr

Tri transitions
« on: July 20, 2011, 10:01:32 AM »
Ok, so I finally got swim form *reasonably* nailed down and have started increasing distances by 500m gulps.  I expect to do 2000m in the pool by the end of the week before vacation and did a first open water attempt in Maple Lake: 1/2 hr, lots of seaweed (bleah), good confidence builder. 

I expect to be in the Young Life olympic distance in August and could use advice for how transitions work, what they feel like, what I should expect, etc.  I'm a greenhorn so assume I know nothing.  This is also a first time out so I'm doing it for the learning experience, not for time.

Some initial questions:

Where are people's bikes in smaller races, laid out someplace?  I know in larger/professional events they usually have pit-stop style stations with flags and stands, but that's obviously silly for opens this size.

I have road shoes with the ski-binding-style SPD-SL pedals.  The shoes have a ratcheting strap.  I assume getting into them is slower than other styles.

I have a good pair of tri shorts that I'm becoming more comfortable with.  Would a singlet/light technical shirt be good enough for the 2nd and 3rd halves of the show?

Should I buy my own headcap?

I'd plan to start the race near the back to one side since banging into people swimming will be a new experience.  Does it start to open up after awhile?

Thanks
Michael

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Re: Tri transitions
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 11:29:27 AM »
Ok, so I finally got swim form *reasonably* nailed down and have started increasing distances by 500m gulps.  I expect to do 2000m in the pool by the end of the week before vacation and did a first open water attempt in Maple Lake: 1/2 hr, lots of seaweed (bleah), good confidence builder. 

I expect to be in the Young Life olympic distance in August and could use advice for how transitions work, what they feel like, what I should expect, etc.  I'm a greenhorn so assume I know nothing.  This is also a first time out so I'm doing it for the learning experience, not for time.
:thumbsup: Sounds great!

Some initial questions:

Where are people's bikes in smaller races, laid out someplace?  I know in larger/professional events they usually have pit-stop style stations with flags and stands, but that's obviously silly for opens this size.
In smaller races they should still have at least one transition area that's marked off for you to put your bikes (some have separate points for each transition).  Many times you just have to lay it on the ground with your gear next to it, other times they'll give you a stick to hold it up, and past that they'll have a bar you can hang the seat from.

I have road shoes with the ski-binding-style SPD-SL pedals.  The shoes have a ratcheting strap.  I assume getting into them is slower than other styles.
Those shoes should be fine.  You can actually slip your feet into the shoes, get going on the bike, and then tighten them all the way while you ride.  I'd suggest practicing first.  When you get off (if you've practiced) you can loosen them and just pull your feet out and jump off barefoot.

I have a good pair of tri shorts that I'm becoming more comfortable with.  Would a singlet/light technical shirt be good enough for the 2nd and 3rd halves of the show?
Whatever you feel like for those sections; keep in mind you might want pockets to refuel on the bike.

Should I buy my own headcap?
They ought to give you one if they require it, but if you want to practice you with it can go get your own.

I'd plan to start the race near the back to one side since banging into people swimming will be a new experience.  Does it start to open up after awhile?
It'll open up pretty quick.  If you're solid on the bike and run you can make up time.  If you end up swimming past people, it just means you should start farther up next time.
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic
anything