Author Topic: Campus Listserv  (Read 4592 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Campus Listserv
« on: February 26, 2008, 08:44:02 AM »
I'm just throwing this idea out there.  It may already be in place and I just don't know about it (in that case, they need to promote it more).

At my undergrad (note, that the student body was about 2,000 at the time) we had a listserv that covered the entire campus.  It was lightly moderated, and as a student you could send out pretty much any announcement for a group you wanted to.  It made life so much easier when announcements of things to do came to your inbox instead of you having to seek them out.  Granted, that at a school of the size of UND with as many student organizations, such a listserv might cause people's email to be overwhelmed, but I doubt that would happen immediately, especially if the listserv was opt-in rather than required for all students.  There is also an option for daily digest format, with the day's announcements together as a single email. 

I actually experimented with this idea a couple years ago with the UND-ENTERTAINMENT listserv, but didn't promote it that much.  Technically, it could even be linked up with the Events board for a particular school, so that events posted to Campus Dakota would go out automatically.

So I'm asking people, would this be a good idea for YOUR school?  Or does your school already have something like this in place?  This option is available to all NDUS schools (the server for the listserv is shared between all the schools anyway).
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline tetsujin

• High Chancellor of Nerd
    • Tetsujin's Blog
Re: Campus Listserv
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 09:08:20 AM »
Officially, we kind of have this in place. We just have an official campus wide email account that goes to all students or faculty or staff depending. But you do need to get permission before using it.

Cameron

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 09:11:32 AM »
That's what we have at UND too, but it's all "Official Business" sort of things.  I was thinking more along the lines of a lightly moderated (keep out the blatant spam) list for announcing your group's meeting, or for announcing an event that's going on.  Even if you don't open all the emails, you read enough subject lines that what is going on sort of gets ingrained in your head. :D

Offline tetsujin

• Tetsujin's Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 09:25:34 AM »
That would be cool if people would actually opt in to it.

Cameron

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 08:57:10 AM »
It wouldn't be worth it to opt-in to unless people knew they were missing announcements.  So to get it going, you'd have to have a small group of people and make sure they got all sorts of news, and then the word would spread.

Wish we had someone on the Team who had the time to focus on dealing with student orgs and events.

Offline tetsujin

• Tetsujin's Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 03:50:41 PM »
Note: Everyone on this website the above comment was a hint that we would like team memebers for the purpose of keeping track of campus events End Note

Cameron

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 03:56:09 PM »
Lol cookies

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 02:26:17 PM »
We have this type of list serv at NDSU.  Its called the announcement list serv, the guidelines can be seen at http://www.ndsu.edu/sg/documents/ListServ.pdf

Basically its a list serv that goes out to all students by default.  The purpose is to promote student org events etc.  From my experience a lot of students dont like it, than again a lot do like it.  Sometimes as many as 10 messages can be sent out in one day, but other days none are sent out.  Some students get annoyed.

We are trying to move to a calendar as opposed to mass emails.
CampusDakota.com

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 07:06:50 PM »
Wow, I was thinking something not nearly so . . . restrictive.

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 07:09:08 PM »
Wow, if its not even that restrictive I see students up in arms.

I think out list serv use to be less restrictive and we had to move to this more restrictive format.
CampusDakota.com

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic
anything