Author Topic: Would anyone mind if I...  (Read 2439 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Would anyone mind if I...
« on: August 17, 2010, 09:46:56 AM »
...wrote a letter to the editor for the Herald?

I wouldn't be admonishing people for driving or anything like that.  I'm just wondering if it would be a good way to get the word out about things.

Pretty much what I would say is look, school's back in session, UNDCC is going strong, and so you might see some of us out on the roads.  This is where we usually ride (describe Merrifield, airport loops, greenway, TR), so please take care, especially since we may have newer members who aren't used to riding in a group yet.  If you have any questions, please flag us down, etc.

Seriously, though, the Grand Forks driving community is leaps and bounds further than it was when I first got here.  I think such a letter might be taken as what it is--just a heads-up that there will be more of us around and that we'll be doing our best to follow traffic laws the same as everyone else.

I would sign with my own name, "UND Cycling Club member;" unless anyone else would like to be on it as well?
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline sanders

• UND
Re: Would anyone mind if I...
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 10:50:54 AM »
sounds like an ok idea to me. I know you would probly mention it any way but indicate that we follow the rules of the road just like any driver would.
Alone you are an athlete but on a bike you are a rocket

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 06:14:49 PM »
Ideas are like a can of play-doh. Some people pop that sucker open and think it stinks, some people love the way play-doh smells. Either way, you're left with a can of play-doh that can be molded into whatever you so desire.

I doubt very much that there are people who would readily hate the UND Cycling Club sans our own members. That said, I appreciate that you posted, and while I doubt that my opinion coupled with Sanders' opinion is anything close to what is representative of a groups opinion, I think it's a great idea.

I suppose it might be worth posting it up on here so members have a chance to see that their views are accurately represented, but like I said... play-doh.
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline curlingDave

• UND
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 07:33:53 PM »
Sounds like a good idea to me.  Of course, if the Herald opens it up for comments, there will certainly be some hate speech, since that is the norm on comment sections/message boards these days, but I think we're intelligent enough to not let it get to us.  I think most reasonable people would appreciate such an article, though.  They'll see that we have routes we stick to and try to respect motorists; we don't just haphazardly cruise around in the middle of the busy streets of town.  What would be fantastic, I think, is if we could somehow get Ryan Bakken to write an article about respecting cyclists, using his comedic point of view.
Life is complex.  It has a real part and an imaginary part.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 05:56:13 PM »
Sent.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 07:34:17 AM »
http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/173163/group/Opinion/

I think they cut it down a little, but it has the same message.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic