Author Topic: Updated: NDSU President Chapman resigns  (Read 6585 times)

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
Updated: NDSU President Chapman resigns
« on: October 14, 2009, 04:04:15 PM »
NDSU President Chapman resigns
UPDATED 4:09 p.m.

FARGO – North Dakota State University President Joseph Chapman has resigned from the university effective Jan. 2.

Citing “recent controversies,” in a letter to North Dakota University System Chancellor William Goetz, Chapman wrote that he could no longer provide the leadership the university deserved.

“Controversies in recent days have created distractions that have made it impossible for me to provide the leadership this institution deserves,” Chapman wrote in his resignation letter. “Students have always been paramount, and I fear these distractions have impaired my ability to serve their interests.”

Chapman, who has been NDSU’s president for 11 years, said serving as NDSU’s president was the “greatest privilege of my academic career.”

State legislative leaders and higher education officials have questioned the rising cost of a president’s home that was built this past year on the NDSU campus. Originally authorized by the state Legislature to spend $900,000 to build a new home for Chapman on the university campus, NDSU foundation officials have revealed recently that the cost of the house has topped $2 million.

Questions also have arisen regarding the cost overruns at other recently completed NDSU building projects.

Also, in recent days, Chapman’s compensation and benefits have come under fire. The NDSU foundation announced that it was ending the practice of paying the president deferred compensation, setting a cap on a presidential discretionary expense account that previously had been unlimited and ended paying for flights Chapman would take on the university plane.

Mark Meister, president of the NDSU Senate, said faculty were shocked when they received an e-mail this afternoon alerting them to Chapman’s resignation.

Faculty were disappointed to learn that Chapman spent $22,000 of NDSU foundation money on a January trip to Washington, D.C., Meister said. And they also were disappointed to find out that Chapman’s wife, Gale, was drawing a $50,000 salary from the NDSU foundation.

However, he added, the faculty recognize that Chapman has changed the culture and climate of NDSU, Meister said.

“I know he’s been beaten up a lot, he deserves a little more support and credit,” Meister said.

Chapman has agreed to talk to The Forum on Thursday morning. He agreed to speak with the Associated Press today.

NDSU Spokeswoman Najla Amundson said Chapman was not pressured to resign by anyone.

When he called Chancellor Goetz today, the chancellor expressed surprise and disappointment, Amundson said.

“This was his decision; he and gale’s decision,” Amundson said. “The distractions, he believes, have gotten in the way of him being able to do what’s best for the students of NDSU.”

North Dakota State Board of Higher Education President Richie Smith said it’s a sad day for North Dakota.

“When people sit back and they look at all of the accomplishments that Joe had at NDSU, these recent controversies will pale in comparison in my opinion,” Smith said. “Anybody coming in is going to have big shoes to fill. I hope we don’t rue the day.”

Check back to www.inforum.com for further updates and see Thursday's Forum for more information

« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 04:31:10 PM by pmp6nl »
CampusDakota.com

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
Re: Updated: NDSU President Chapman resigns
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 04:42:27 PM »
Email from President Chapman:

Dear Students, Faculty and Staff,

Earlier today, I tendered my resignation to Chancellor Goetz. Serving as
president of North Dakota State University for the past 11 years has been
the greatest privilege of my academic career.  Together, we have taken
this institution to new levels, and I take great pride in all we have
accomplished together. Gale and I have made friends and community ties
here we will cherish for the rest of our lives.

Controversies in recent days have created distractions that have made it
impossible for me to provide the leadership this institution deserves.
Students have always been paramount, and I fear these distractions have
impaired my ability to serve their interests.

I have full confidence NDSU will continue to thrive and contribute to the
prosperity of North Dakota well into the future.

I thank you all for your kindness and support.

Joe
CampusDakota.com

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • UND
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 05:31:52 PM »
Seriously what a joke. This guy takes the state taxpayers and university donors for a ride and then people say he deserves more credit and to cut him some slack?

The thing is, he may well have done great things for NDSU but this is exactly why this country is involved in such a convoluted mess! People that "do a good job" so that when they TAKE money everyone says "oh its ok"?

I mean am I missing something? He essentially is stealing money from the University legally, and people are ok with this because he did a good job?

And PS - What could have POSSIBLY cost 22,000 for a trip to DC? Did he buy a car instead of rent one?
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 10:05:03 PM »
Wasn't there something about chartering a plane that was $17,000?  That can't be right though.
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Plantains

• UND
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 10:08:29 PM »
lets even assume that a plane was 17,000. How did they spend $5000???? Especially if the plane was covered? How can you live with yourself spending that on other peoples hard work?

Jesus.
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 02:14:08 AM »
I would type a more detailed response but my brain is mush right now (hence why I should be going to bed).  Anyway, its a lot more complicated then just numbers here and there.  Too much blame fell on one guy as opposed to others involved like the development foundation.
CampusDakota.com

Offline Plantains

• UND
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 09:07:42 AM »
But its that one persons job to handle that nonsense. Same issue with coaches in sports. You think the reason a team is losing is simply because their coach is an idiot? No... the Bills just flipping suck! But the coach will get fired anyways. He's the figurehead.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 09:58:35 AM »
But he's the President of the university--which is to say that he is where the buck should be stopping.  If you're the coach of a sucky football team, it makes less sense to get fired because you aren't in control of all the financial aspects, and so you can't control everything.  If you're the President you SHOULD be able to influence most of what goes on, and he did so in an unresponsible way.
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Plantains

• UND
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 07:18:24 PM »
Thats the point I was trying to convey... have I mentioned that I'm sleep deprived?

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 10:22:47 PM »
I agree with that.  Im just saying that since the project was semi-external and he was purposefully not directly involved that others should also take the blame.  I am not saying he is blameless, im just saying that others should be called into question.
CampusDakota.com

Offline Plantains

• UND
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 10:53:39 AM »
Yeah... there's no way that someone at the top could be "corrupt" and have no one underneath be blameworthy?

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 03:43:07 PM »
Yeah... there's no way that someone at the top could be "corrupt" and have no one underneath be blameworthy?

I think the Development Foundation has a lot of explaining to do.
CampusDakota.com

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic