Author Topic: Need some help  (Read 3465 times)

Offline trekguy

• UND Cycling Club
Need some help
« on: February 21, 2011, 02:59:05 PM »
Hey fellas, been a while since ive been on here... Im looking to get my bikes back together for this upcoming snow thaw(hopefully?) and im wondering if anyone has a tool to take off the bottom bracket? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Bobby

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
Re: Need some help
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 04:43:09 PM »
Bobby... it depends on what type of crankset and BB you have. I know there are certainly tools available, but it would depend on that.

The next question would be, why are you taking off your BB?
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline trekguy

• UND Cycling Club
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 04:56:27 PM »
Its a shimano crankset on my trek 4500, not sure what kinda bb it is.... Im taking it off to get the frame powdercoated and rebuild it before spring rolls around.

Offline Plantains

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 05:54:25 PM »
Oh boy...

1. Aluminum and powder coating are mostly bad ideas.  ALuminum needs to be chemically treated before it gets powdercoated to have ANY type of good adhesion.

2. IIRC, the 4500 uses a Hydroformed top tube (albeit not the best version) but hydroforming uses EXTREMELY thin walled aluminum, and may lead to more of an issue with powdercoating.

3. Why are you getting it powdercoated in the first place?

4. If you're going to be getting it powdercoated, you should probably just take it into the shop and have them pop the BB out of there for you, because you'll need to have the threads chased in the BB after the powdercoating to prevent any binding.

5. Chasing the threads is NOT optional, and you'll most likely need to have your headtube reamed and faced as well.

6. Does this frameset have a removable rear derailleur hanger? If not, you'll need to have that chased as well (which is basically impossible without destroying it).
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline trekguy

• UND Cycling Club
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 08:19:20 PM »
the paint on it now is pretty trashed so I was gonna get it powdercoated to clean it up. The place I was gonna get it done at chemically strips the frame before they coat it. You think itd be a bad idea to get it coated then im assuming?

Offline Plantains

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 09:39:29 PM »
Well... having a pristine paintjob on any MTB is pretty much impossible. Powdercoating adds a ton of weight, and could possibly compromise the structural integrity of the frame. The only bikes I would ever powdercoat are ones that come from the factory (read as: leave it the way it is) or a steel bike that is nasty.

Aluminum shouldn't rust at all, and no offense, but the 4500 isn't exactly the most collectible bike Trek has ever made... so it's not worth putting that kind of loot into it just to keep it looking nice.

So yeah... I think it's sort of a waste of money, and might end up trashing the frame completely. That said, the powdercoating guys in GFK do some nice work! But in this instance, you're probably looking at more trouble than it's worth.

Ride it ragged and be proud that you don't keep it in the garage all the time and talk about how nice it is. Show people how nice it is by using it. It was intended to be used that way.

Offline Plantains

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 01:52:53 AM »
Oh hey... no problem. You're welcome...

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 08:45:53 AM »
What do you expect?  Sometimes people don't take it well when they ask for help to do something and then get told that they aren't doing it right.

trekguy, since you never mentioned what BB you have, none of the rest of us can know if we have the right tool or not.
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Plantains

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 01:24:05 PM »
I didn't say he wasn't doing it right at all? If he wants to powdercoat his bike, he should do it. I told him to pop into the shop to have them take out the BB since he'll have to have the threads chased anyways?

Not doing it right is a bit of a stretch, I'm making sure the dude doesn't completely brick his bike by saying he should get the threads chased and the headtube reamed and faced? Dunno how that comes across as not doing it right?

Offline OUWxGuesser

• UND
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 12:36:20 AM »
I have a crank puller  for my 4500... not the BB tool, however. 

Offline trekguy

• UND Cycling Club
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 11:10:48 AM »
Its all good fellas. I appreciate the advice, I'm not gonna get it done anymore thanks to the advice. Time to get it back together and ready to roll.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic
anything