Author Topic: Great review of the Crosstown Lounge (Grand Forks)  (Read 5906 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Great review of the Crosstown Lounge (Grand Forks)
« on: January 20, 2008, 03:07:10 PM »
Unfortunately, they don't have it online, but I'll scan it tomorrow probably and put it up. I scanned it and put it up here.  For now, just go visit the darn place--it sounds pretty good!

http://www.myspace.com/crosstownlounge

(By the way, the article doesn't mention Fusion at Level 10 as "live music," which I disagree with.)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 01:05:42 PM by mburtonk »
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Meest

• UND
Re: Great review of the Crosstown Lounge (Grand Forks)
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 06:50:54 PM »
I know this is an old article... But I had a good laugh at it...

Live music is good, hell its great. But when its live music in a place like that, in a space that size, with the size of band he brings in... I hate it...

I check their myspace to see when they AREN'T having bands.... I'm a sound guy, I love music, i play drums, violin, and piano... But when its LOUD its horrible...

Some of the bands he brings in are not suited for the space... its just outright stupid what he's done sometimes in there....

He's a cool guy, great guy to work with... but the reality of it is that its not a place to have a band that has more than 4 members... and something besides half-stacks, hotrod devilles, or triple rectifiers... oh and a Leslie!!

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 02:37:58 PM »
I know this is an old article... But I had a good laugh at it...

Live music is good, hell its great. But when its live music in a place like that, in a space that size, with the size of band he brings in... I hate it...

I check their myspace to see when they AREN'T having bands.... I'm a sound guy, I love music, i play drums, violin, and piano... But when its LOUD its horrible...

Some of the bands he brings in are not suited for the space... its just outright stupid what he's done sometimes in there....

He's a cool guy, great guy to work with... but the reality of it is that its not a place to have a band that has more than 4 members... and something besides half-stacks, hotrod devilles, or triple rectifiers... oh and a Leslie!!

So they just need more space?
CampusDakota.com

Offline Meest

• UND
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 03:38:10 PM »
He needs more space, a bigger stage, better acoustical treatment, better sound equipment. Better Location of the stage, and an actual front of house for mixing the band, and it would be better.

But thats usually every bar and place around here... half ass it and when it doesn't work right blame it on the person driving it.

GIGO is always going to be the way for this stuff...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 03:38:41 PM by Meest »

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 04:48:44 PM »
Sounds expensive.
CampusDakota.com

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 05:19:29 PM »
The problem is that nobody in Grand Forks wants to drop then money for a good small venue (something akin to Playmakers/House of Rock in Fargo):  you either have the bars, maybe the Loading Dock at UND (don't know from personal experience how good anything is there, or the Alerus.  So we get skipped over by the good touring bands because they can't fill the Alerus (or couldn't afford it) and are too good to play in a bar (I don't blame them for that).

:(
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Meest

• UND
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 10:46:02 PM »
The problem is that nobody in Grand Forks wants to drop then money for a good small venue (something akin to Playmakers/House of Rock in Fargo):  you either have the bars, maybe the Loading Dock at UND (don't know from personal experience how good anything is there, or the Alerus.  So we get skipped over by the good touring bands because they can't fill the Alerus (or couldn't afford it) and are too good to play in a bar (I don't blame them for that).

:(

Even the Venue isn't done right... They need two more boxes of Nexo Geo-T a side (Their speakers) and to get their damn sound board fixed so they don't have 2 dead channels (Think thats what it was last time.) They got it right almost, but they could use a little more to be perfect, but what can you do?

I will admit though, its the closest thing around here to a Myth, Tripple Rock, First ave, etc.

Yes its expensive, but you have to spend money to make money.... Spend that much money on making your bar, then you bring in B Level acts like they're a normal bar band.... at least try....

And yes its true no one wants to drop the money.... the venue alone has $150,000 into their video system....
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 10:47:38 PM by Meest »

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 11:35:05 PM »
The Hub (Playmakers) has done some pretty interesting things since the remodel/branding.

When is the last time you checked it out?
CampusDakota.com

Offline Meest

• UND
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 09:53:44 PM »
The Hub (Playmakers) has done some pretty interesting things since the remodel/branding.

When I was in there working on the remodeling.... :P Someone's gotta hang TV's and do Video distrobution...

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 11:32:33 PM »

When I was in there working on the remodeling.... :P Someone's gotta hang TV's and do Video distrobution...

Ah, nice...
CampusDakota.com

Offline Meest

• UND
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 08:53:34 AM »
wow... I can set up video distribution but i Sure can't spell it.... Sorry just saw that horrible spelling error.... My english teacher Girlfriend is going to kill me :P

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic