Author Topic: The Ride Reports  (Read 10464 times)

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
The Ride Reports
« on: March 12, 2008, 11:01:25 PM »
Hey guys... as we are all starting to get outside, lets get some ride reports going.

Post the route or course.
The Date.
The Time.
How it was.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 02:46:59 PM by Sal Atticum »
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Plantains

Re: The Ride Reports
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 11:02:38 PM »
The Betty Criterium loop.
March 10th
5-7pm
We swept the corners... it still needs some touch up and corner 3 had a very slick inner triangle at the apex.
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Mario

• Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired
  • UND
  • Crossing around
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 12:29:13 AM »
On March 13th I rode the Demars and then south on Airport road almost to Maryfield intersection .It was very good,dry, no snow.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 12:30:29 AM by Mario »
The minimum number of bikes one should own is three.  The correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned.  This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.

Offline Plantains

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 07:15:50 PM »
The Merrifield loop is officially listed as good.

March 13th
5-7pm
UNDCT practice.
Some leftover debris from construction on the curvy part of 42nd and a little more across from the Alerus. Otherwise... it was muy bueno.

Offline Toaster

• UND
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 12:55:05 AM »
North 43rd street and 6th ave To SBS commute:

North 43rd street: full of huge puddles
6th ave: puddles are drying up, not too much sand
North/South 1 ways through campus: drying up, watch for stupid drivers
Uni Bike lanes: Not too bad, some sand/slush
Columbia bridge: 99% clear of snow, water freezes on the path at night so watch for ice.
Under Columbia Bridge: Good place for a beer break
Crossing Columbia/Demers interchange: Watch for idiots/rednecks
Side streets between interchange and SBS: sand slush mix, fastest is to go S on 20th st. and east on 17th, less traffic on other streets. icy after dark (did a 180 on accident the other night). watch out for people driving way too fast for a residential area.
Crossing Washington: always terrifying, show off with your best trackstand while you wait at the light.
Parking lot at SBS: lots of water
SBS: Lots of bike jerks
Just try and step to UND Cycling if you wanna test your luck.

Offline Plantains

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 09:14:38 AM »
North 43rd street and 6th ave To SBS commute:

North 43rd street: full of huge puddles
6th ave: puddles are drying up, not too much sand
North/South 1 ways through campus: drying up, watch for stupid drivers
Uni Bike lanes: Not too bad, some sand/slush
Columbia bridge: 99% clear of snow, water freezes on the path at night so watch for ice.
Under Columbia Bridge: Good place for a beer break
Crossing Columbia/Demers interchange: Watch for idiots/rednecks
Side streets between interchange and SBS: sand slush mix, fastest is to go S on 20th st. and east on 17th, less traffic on other streets. icy after dark (did a 180 on accident the other night). watch out for people driving way too fast for a residential area.
Crossing Washington: always terrifying, show off with your best trackstand while you wait at the light.
Parking lot at SBS: lots of water
SBS: Lots of bike jerks

+1 to that.

HAHAHAHA

Offline nathan.barten

• UND
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 04:21:46 PM »
Yo to all, check out the Minnesota loop.  I rode today (3/18/08) and everything seemed in order.  Mostly clean, but watch yourself in the corners of course.  Unfortunately if you've got poor circulation in toes and fingers, still a bit cold, but that'll change soon enough.  Be careful in town.

Peace!

Offline Plantains

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 07:19:02 PM »
Its cold.

All courses.

Offline Mario

• Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired
  • UND
  • Crossing around
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 08:57:43 PM »
Agree!
The minimum number of bikes one should own is three.  The correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned.  This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 08:46:29 AM »
^ Truth.
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Plantains

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 04:09:02 PM »
Its funny that ALL of the courses are open and clear. However UNIVERSITY AVE. which HAS BIKE LANES, is not clear.

I see UND driving around ALL WINTER with their spinning brush for snow removal... hey I HAVE AN IDEA! WHY NOT USE IT ON UNIV!

Yes. Im mad.  :wtf:

Offline Plantains

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 07:53:24 PM »
Spring is here. It was actually FUN to ride outside today.

:bananana:

Offline Plantains

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 02:42:09 PM »
4/13 - The official "Minnesota Loop". Is looking about as good as last year.

Everything was clear. The road heading back into EGFK was as usual... crappy. potholes etc etc.

The dogs were out in full force on the east west leg.

Otherwise... ~46 miles of enjoyment.

Offline jesseb

• UND
  • wind blows
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 02:00:30 PM »
5/2 (reading and review day) turtle river--
singletrack all dry and fast... they removed some of the logs that were pretty fun to go over last year :(
wider trails had a couple of wet spots, nothing too bad though
stairs are all dry and fun as usual!

Offline Toaster

• UND
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008, 03:29:59 PM »
Our first Wednesday night ride was a success! Vagrants in attendance were Toaster (myself), The Godfather, Sloth, and a fellow shop rat known only as Josh. Everybody else, you missed out BIG TIME! The ride departed SBS not very promptly sometime after 9pm. From there we ventured down to the river where we hopped on the 4-wheeler trail on the EGF side for a little off roading. Things got interesting with two people on fully geared MTB's and the other two on fixed gear track blasters. From the Minnesota bridge, the ride turned a bit calmer and mostly followed the bike path up to the north walking bridge, and then back down to the Hub. Once we arrived, large burgers and oversized brews served in frosty mugs were enjoyed by all. Having thoroughly exorcised numerous demons, riders departed contently to resume their normal(?) lives. No scars this time, we can only hope that future Wed. night rides will bear more fruit.

Offline Toaster

• UND
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2008, 12:15:18 AM »
A big shout out to all my GF allies in cycling mayhem, WORD UP.

Just got back from the second wednesday night ride. To all of those who did not show up (which was most of you) you missed out even bigger than the last time you didn't show up, as good times and good riding and good beers were had by all who did show up (only two of us this time). From the shop myself and mark proceeded to dave sears' place, where we found no intelligent forms of life (although dave might have just been sleeping). The chaos then moved north to the EGF golf course by the north walking bridge which we proceeded to bomb around on (with no interference from law enforcement). Riding of four wheeler trails in EGF then commenced (all the parts that we didn't ride two weeks ago were covered), and then across the minnesota bridge enroute to the hub where frothy liquid was consumed. Don't know what the rest of you were doing? Maybe watching Le Tour on TV while those with true grit were out getting their ride on.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2008, 11:11:20 AM »
Sunday night's Turtle River mountain bike extravaganza turned out to be fast and tight, with just the right amount of fixie action thrown in for the fun of it.  Attendance was rather low (but good), probably attributable to the fact that I showed up for the first time and people were afraid to test themselves against my skills of the mad variety.  Aside from the decided lack of breeze during the refreshment period, a good time was had by all.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2008, 04:13:32 PM »
As of a couple days ago, someone had recently filled in the cracks in the the south section of Merrifield loop.  So now there are big bumps instead of big dips in the road where the cracks are.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2008, 07:15:16 PM »
Today's No Drop ride left almost on time, led by the worst possible leader ever, yours truly, because nobody else managed to show up (although some suspiciously slothlike person did yell some obscenities out the window of his car on the way home).  I was joined by Anna, Nordica, Andy and Dave, who proceeded to try and wear me out on what was supposed to be an easy day before I end up wrecking my body again this weekend at Maplelag.

The wind was a little problematic traveling west, but the rest of the ride was smooth.  There are some new folks itching to test themselves against the old guard of UND Cycling Club, and it shows.

Remember, all No Drop rides are just that--we don't leave anyone behind just because they want to ride at a more relaxed pace.

Offline Toaster

• UND
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2008, 10:05:35 PM »
awesome, sounds like it was a good ride (although a bit on the aggressive side). I'm glad to hear that so many new people made it out. Wish I could have been there, but I was working at the bike shop all night. Maybe next week!

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic