Author Topic: Will Google+ take it away?  (Read 7740 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Will Google+ take it away?
« on: July 06, 2011, 01:08:16 PM »
http://singularityhub.com/2011/07/06/google-is-awesome-facebook-maimed-twitter-mortally-wounded/

I'm intrigued.  This might be interesting to try out.  So I'm a week behind, other stuff has been going on.

In other news, still waiting to try Diaspora on a local pod.  If you're looking for public Diaspora pod, check out one of the lists here: https://github.com/diaspora/diaspora/wiki/Community-supported-pods  I would try hosting my own here at UND but I don't have that kind of time right now :(
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
Re: Will Google+ take it away?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 04:25:52 PM »
While Google+ seems interesting I think this guy is a bit off his rocker.  Google+  will not dethrone Facebook in the near feature, if ever.  All of the great features that Google+  offers will probably be offered by Facebook in the future, they will not standby and let Google+ surpass them.  Millions use Facebook, why would the average user switch over, especially after they have put so much time and effort into Facebook -- unless there will be a way to port stuff over.

Its also important to remember that just because Google is running it does not mean it will be successful.  They have had tons of failed projects, including social networks.  I like the idea of integrating other Google services; however, being as I am a bit concerned about privacy I will be keeping an eye on all of the information Google holds.  Which brings me to the next point in that I do not trust Facebook.  I am putting less and less content on there and removing friends, information, content, and what not.  I no longer upload photos to Facebook because they like to track people and use your content for their purposes.  To an extent I work to keep my content in different places, not only because I like to find the best tools, but also because I do not like one or a few entities having all of my information.

I am very interested in Diaspora, but like you I do not have much time to explore it.  Why can't their be more time in the day!
CampusDakota.com

Offline gh

• CD Team
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 10:20:59 PM »
I'm not sure whether google+ will make facebook become old and unpopular, kind of like what happened to myspace, but I've signed up for google+ and really like it so far! The article mentioned that google+ lacks 3rd party apps, but I LIKE that about it. All those 3rd party apps in facebook are really annoying and it's very annoying to have to block each one as they show up in your news feed. Has anyone else here signed up for a google+ account and have you done much with it yet? I know I haven't added many friends yet, but many of them are not very tech savvy, so I don't think they've even heard about google+. I hadn't heard about it until Thursday.

Which brings me to the next point in that I do not trust Facebook.  I am putting less and less content on there and removing friends, information, content, and what not.  I no longer upload photos to Facebook because they like to track people and use your content for their purposes.
I agree with you, I've been using facebook less and not posting more pictures. I think I actually quit posting pictures when they started having the facial recognition thing to the side. I hope that google+ leaves the 3rd party apps and games out, or at least doesn’t post them on your news feed.

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 08:11:54 PM »
I hope Google+ keeps growing. I heard there are already 10 million users and they are still in a closed beta testing stage.  Google has a lot of opportunity here to make an awesome social network, especially with tying in their other services.

Google+ may not have apps now, but I think they are developing the ability to have them.  I am also really annoyed by how annoying the apps on Facebook can be...  Lets see how Google plays the ball and see if they implement it in a good or bad way.

The way Facebook uses your content is creepy, lets hope Google+ doesn't go the same route.
CampusDakota.com

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 12:13:20 PM »
If any "app" extension of Google+ is like the rest of it so far, maybe you will be able to just shut the apps off entirely.

I'm interested in an invite, if anyone has one.  I'm sort of happy with Twitter at the moment because it's so simple, but I could try Google+ to integrate all the Google stuff I use.

Offline gh

• CD Team
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 10:50:52 PM »
If any "app" extension of Google+ is like the rest of it so far, maybe you will be able to just shut the apps off entirely.

I'm interested in an invite, if anyone has one.  I'm sort of happy with Twitter at the moment because it's so simple, but I could try Google+ to integrate all the Google stuff I use.

I can send you an invite. Would you like me to send it to your campus dakota email or is there another one that you prefer? And am hoping like you are that if there's an app, you could completely shut it off. That would be great! :)

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 12:05:50 AM »
If you all are on there feel free to add me.  [email protected]
I have been trying it out a little and getting a feel for it, but I dont use it regularly yet.
CampusDakota.com

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 06:54:27 PM »
I'm not sure whether I want to use it that much, although I guess that when Facebook started there wasn't a lot going on either.  I'll keep playing around with it though!

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 10:59:51 PM »
I keep forgetting to use it.  Maybe someday I will remember to add it to my list of things to do every other day or so.
CampusDakota.com

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic
anything