Author Topic: O Facebook my Facebook  (Read 3924 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
O Facebook my Facebook
« on: September 05, 2006, 09:24:38 AM »
Who thinks the "News Feed" on Facebook is a mite odd?  What are your opinions on Facebook in general?
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Re: O Facebook my Facebook
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 08:27:35 AM »
An Open Letter from Mark Zuckerberg:

We really messed this one up. When we launched News Feed and Mini-Feed we were trying to provide you with a stream of information about your social world. Instead, we did a bad job of explaining what the new features were and an even worse job of giving you control of them. I'd like to try to correct those errors now.

When I made Facebook two years ago my goal was to help people understand what was going on in their world a little better. I wanted to create an environment where people could share whatever information they wanted, but also have control over whom they shared that information with. I think a lot of the success we've seen is because of these basic principles.

We made the site so that all of our members are a part of smaller networks like schools, companies or regions, so you can only see the profiles of people who are in your networks and your friends. We did this to make sure you could share information with the people you care about. This is the same reason we have built extensive privacy settings ? to give you even more control over who you share your information with.

Somehow we missed this point with Feed and we didn't build in the proper privacy controls right away. This was a big mistake on our part, and I'm sorry for it. But apologizing isn't enough. I wanted to make sure we did something about it, and quickly. So we have been coding nonstop for two days to get you better privacy controls. This new privacy page will allow you to choose which types of stories go into your Mini-Feed and your friends' News Feeds, and it also lists the type of actions Facebook will never let any other person know about. If you have more comments, please send them over.

This may sound silly, but I want to thank all of you who have written in and created groups and protested. Even though I wish I hadn't made so many of you angry, I am glad we got to hear you. And I am also glad that News Feed highlighted all these groups so people could find them and share their opinions with each other as well.

About a week ago I created a group called Free Flow of Information on the Internet, because that's what I believe in ? helping people share information with the people they want to share it with. I'd encourage you to check it out to learn more about what guides those of us who make Facebook. Tomorrow at 4pm est, I will be in that group with a bunch of people from Facebook, and we would love to discuss all of this with you. It would be great to see you there.

Thanks for taking the time to read this,

Mark

Offline Stonegateguy

• UND
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 10:38:18 AM »
i guess i never found it "creepy" or "stalkerish". all that information was already there... just not in one place. So all its doing is gathering all that info into one place. I like it ... it makes it easy for me to keep up with all my friends ... to see what is going on with them. I am however glad that they did put controls so that you can limit the info that it does gather ... i do believe that you should have complete controll over what info facebook does give out. But honestly i dont put anything out there that i dont want people to know... i could care less if someone knows that i joined a group... or god forbid i comment on someting or add a picture... who cares if people know that.... its not like they are giving out my bank account or ssn. I think that people blew that a little out of the water. It did need some controll but i think facebook did a good job of correcting that oversight.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 10:43:00 AM »
I agree with you, now that they put the controls in on what went on the news feed.  I'm using it currently to announce things to my friends without having to bother emailing/calling/messaging them.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic