Author Topic: 2008 Presidential Candidates Issue Chart  (Read 5703 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
2008 Presidential Candidates Issue Chart
« on: July 21, 2007, 02:09:29 PM »
http://www.2decide.com/table.htm

This is very cool.  I have not looked at it in detail (or looked at who published it to see if it is all true), but it may help me decide who I am thinking of for president.

Discuss.  Which of these issues do you think are the most important?
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
Re: 2008 Presidential Candidates Issue Chart
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 04:30:11 PM »
Very nice chart.

Some of the issues that are important to me include:

Education - No child left behind sucks.  Fix it and the rest of our education system.  Make college more affordable, fix the current loan/grant setup... its terrible.

Embryonic Stem Cells - Research needs to be done, the possibilities are endless for what we could do to help people.  Though what types of cells that are used is debatable.

Energy and Oil - Stop the reliance on oil.  We need to sink a lot of money into renewable energy.  How about some massive wind farms in the Dakotas

Homeland Security
- The keyword is homeland.  We are focusing on the wrong things.  How about spending some money so our police, fire fighters, and medics are ready. 
How about looking at our hospitals and other infrastructure.  We need to fix our own huge problems first.

Internet Neutrality - Dont even get me started on this one.  The internet should be equal, big businesses with money should not have an advantage.

Iraq - A huge mistake.  I dont even know what to think about this, except the current plan sucks!  :angryfire: :cwm21:
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 05:13:05 PM by pmp6nl »
CampusDakota.com

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 05:00:19 PM »
Quote from: pmp6nl
Internet Neutrality - Dont even get me started on this one.  The internet should be equal, big businesses with money should have an advantage.

Do you mean, 'should have an advantage' or 'should not have an advantage'?

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 05:12:46 PM »
Oh, I meant should NOT!!!
CampusDakota.com

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 06:24:09 PM »
Well, I was in the airport the other day and had a couple minutes to write down what I thought were some good large-scale political issues:

America's place on the world stage - Are we ever going to decide what we are?  Are we everyone's friend, or the world policeman, or that policeman that only takes notice when a buddy of his gets his truck stolen?

Illegal immigration - Emphasis on the 'illegal' part.  If you want to come here, come through the proper channels.  However, I think it should be a lot easier to enter the country to work, and perhaps harder to become a citizen.

Energy - Regardless of whether you think we are running out of oil, or think that the world is warming because of it, we need to rethink out energy needs and ways to get it.  Just because we have the power to burn oil for the next 50 years doesn't mean we should.

Election procedures - How about voting machines that keep a paper copy?  How about no computers?  How about just checking off the name of the person you want in office (or better yet, circling it)?  It would take a couple weeks to count the votes, but then we'd at least be sure about who is winning our elections.

Clean elections - Keep special interests out of politics.  For more information, see http://www.democracymatters.org/.  Maybe we should push for this in Grand Forks or Fargo and see what we can do to change the world.

The National Debt - How can we teach our children not to spend money they don't have if our country continues to do so? 

The lack of a difference between the two major parties - Whether they are both corrupt or not, they are similar enough that nothing seems to be getting done.  We need a break, or we need a third party with a charismatic leader.

The "War on Terror" and what this means - So who exactly are we going after?  Is there a list somewhere?  What specific acts are we trying to prevent?  Why is it our job?

The Patriot Act - I know it's a slippery slope argument, but I think it's true in this case.  If we give up those freedoms we don't specifically need right now, what's to stop them from taking freedoms we want in the future?

Just a few things.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 06:26:22 PM by mburtonk »

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 12:33:34 AM »
I didnt realize we had some very similar political concerns/ideals
CampusDakota.com

Offline JakeJZG

• SHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
    • tl;dr
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 04:41:36 AM »
Education - No child left behind sucks.  Fix it and the rest of our education system.  Make college more affordable, fix the current loan/grant setup... its terrible.

Definitely of top importance, but color me constitutionalist but shouldn't the states - and not the Federal government - have complete jurisdiction over how money is spent?  I don't mean to argue but it seems that NCLB and any fix that doesn't go in the other direction is only going to make things worse. 

This is K-12, universities, Loans, etc are another topic - both areas however always need improvement.

I would say that Space Exploration should take a ten-fold larger budget slice, being our only real hope for long term survival.  Being that we already have the technology to go to Mars and back in week with thousands of tones of cargo.
Use Windows?  Want to know a better way?
Come join the East Dakota Linux Users Group!
http://talk.campusdakota.com/index.php?board=111.0
http://www.tldr.de/~edlug/

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 10:49:50 AM »
Feel free to argue, that adds to the fun.

I didnt mean to fix the current no child left behind (though thats what it looks like in my post  :-[).

I am not sure the best way to fix it, but I think something needs to be done.  We are falling behind and there seems to be no equality... some areas are pretty good and other areas are terrible.

What do we do if the states do not care very much for the education system?  I know some states care a great deal then others are a little blah on the whole thing?
CampusDakota.com

Offline zman

• NDSU
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 11:26:59 AM »
The above all sum me up pretty well.

Dont we have anyone around that will disagree?

Offline JakeJZG

• SHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
    • tl;dr
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 03:45:37 PM »
I don't have an answer either to be honest.  We do need to continuouslty strive to be more than competitive in the world and that means education needs to be of top priority.  I am one of those types who want as little government as neccesary.  Not an anarchist, I just don't trust government - it has given me plenty of reason throughout world history!

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2007, 07:40:22 PM »
Local control (of education) is a good thing just because it gives us variety.  Of course we need to set standards, but taking money away from schools that don't have enough money is just idiotic.

Offline JakeJZG

• SHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
    • tl;dr
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2007, 09:41:57 PM »
NCLB has created many beneficial results as well as complicated and worsened some other aspects.  Along with your thinking I agree that a single overbearing group will not be able to properly manage anything as large, diverse, and complex as the educational systems of the states.  This is why we have states with their respective powers.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic
anything