Author Topic: VENT!  (Read 35016 times)

Offline Meest

• UND
Re: VENT!
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2009, 11:04:25 AM »
how much would i be spending to get something fitted properly? looking at a price range. it very well might be worth the investment to me.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2009, 11:12:48 AM »
People who have boring presentations: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cagxPlVqrtM
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • UND
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2009, 12:35:09 AM »
Saddle fit is as much individual as anything. If you want to "get fit" which is relatively new technology (surprisingly) you can goto SBS and they'll measure ur ass on the gel thingy (unless they got rid of it). However... this really only tells you how wide ur sit bones are. It does nothing for saddle comfort.

This is why many message boards (bikeforums.com) have "saddle swap" threads. Used saddles have pretty low retail.

Best bet... ask to try some saddles of buddies and see what styles u like... cutout no cutout.. etc. You can also ask if a shop has saddles to demo out for a week. Note... don't ride on them if the wx sucks.

At LBS' tho, this does come with implications of business.

What type of bike are you putting it on and what type of riding do you do? What are your goals? Strictly comfort? Will you be wearing bicycling shorts or not?

Why do you suppose you posted this in vent?

LOL
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2009, 11:23:33 PM »
Grr for having too much to do.
CampusDakota.com

Offline Plantains

• UND
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2009, 12:14:30 PM »
UND Aerospace and work ethic.

Here's the thing. When I finally transferred to the main campus I was SO EXCITED. This excitement was quickly eroded away over the first year and a half because of the complete and total bullshit that encompassed my transfer. Yes it was entirely my fault, but YES I WAS ASSURED BY NUMEROUS HIGH UP PEOPLE AT UND THAT IT WOULD NOT BE A PROBLEM! But alas, I ended up being FORCED to take 2 years off of flight training. 2 years off during a critical moment (right after you learn all your instrument stuff but right before you actually take the test for it.

So here I am after "restarting" last spring which was my first flying semester at the main campus. Its been an utter nightmare. Trying to relearn things that I know without having any instruction on them and despite briefly explaining my situation I still get looked at like I'm a moron when I don't know such simple things. I DO KNOW THESE THINGS! I JUST HAVEN'T USED THEM FOR 2 YEARS!

Still this pilot factory is less than sympathetic and no one seems interested in helping me out without some sort of "I'm better than you" type of attitude. Such comments made by flight instructors to the extent of, 'I'm not going to teach it to you, you need to know this' typically leave me baffled and frustrated yet this is all old news.

My real issue for venting is that at UND Aerospace let alone this campus the student is second. For many flight students where flying is there only priority, perhaps this doesn't become as noticeable. I however am a double major and am trying my ASS OFF to make the cycling club more than just a memory when I leave. If I have a flight scheduled at a specific time, it is scheduled there for a reason. I'm not simply sitting around in my dorm room playing Halo in my free time, I'm actually #$@*ing doing sh*t. So Mr. flight instructor(S) (because they all do it) when you call me up to reschedule my flights the night before because YOU have to work at the SOF desk or because YOU have something else that is invariably more important to do, don't get annoyed with me when I cannot commit to YOUR schedule. It would be 100% unacceptable for me to call you and suggest that I cannot make a flight because I have to work. You may even look down on me and offer some condescension about how "I need to make flying a top priority" or some other such nonsense. But whenever you have made a scheduling error and "must" work at a SECOND job ALSO for UNDAerospace, I am the one who MUST adapt.

You are a flight instructor at THE "premiere" aviation school in the world. What, exactly are your top priorities?

sigh... say what you will, but know that I'm a sensitive fellow.
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Meest

• UND
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2009, 04:27:11 PM »
Dual screen support. HONESTLY!!! For christs sake. I have more friends that roll with two if not 3 screens on their home computers... For the love of god let me keep youtube or Hulu, or anything else full screen on one and let me keep clicking away on the other...

Drives me piss ass nuts when I can't maximize a music video and watch it out of the corner of my eye and then not be able to use the rest of my computer because of stupid coding.

Offline Plantains

• UND
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2009, 09:37:17 PM »
I wanted to run duallies but didn't because of this. I just bought a 28" HD monitor.

Offline Meest

• UND
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2009, 11:51:09 AM »
I've been running dualies since 2002 (good old 19" CRT Viewsonic A90F+ monitors) and its just baffling that the coding for some of this stuff is still like this... IMHO its just a programing crutch to make it easy. instead of detecting if its on said screen they code it to say any click on any location. which is just plain wrong.

I still need to find a Decent PCI card to go to tripples and then i'll be in business. :D Might have to look for that today. I have a 17" Dell monitor sitting around doing nothing.

Haven't graduated to anything big like a 28". I prefer to have different "zones" of my workspace. but i have friends that do the same thing with the large monitor but i get what you're saying. I also run a KVM to switch to my Ubuntu/Win7 computer.... So I will admit i'm more a "Power user" than more... but really... must they code like that?

Offline Plantains

• UND
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2009, 12:09:30 PM »
Try searching on some of the MS flightsim websites like flightsim.com. I think they have triple monitor stuff.

My whole system is built specifically to run flight sim X (which is a graphical nightmare) I'm eagerly awaiting win7 stuff to normalize so I can finally run my dx10 in dx10.

I got the 28" because it was 1200i HD and I use it as a TV and for my PS3. Esentially media center through my comp.

I agree completely about the coding tho. So many people are just like well, no one really does this so lets just half ass it to get it to run well on the other side of the coin.

edit: this is what mot flight simmers are using to run 3 monitors. http://www.fspilotshop.com/index.php?cPath=1_65

Offline Plantains

• UND
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2009, 12:50:57 PM »
I hate the new U-mail. There is no way to mass delete. It doesn't empty the trash when u sign out even if you tell it to. Its altogether "nicer" but less functional, which I find ATMO accurately represents EVERYTHING about this university.

Also. UND.edu is currently down with no warning. Which is also like U-mail, blackboard, campus connection etc.

UND. pssshhhh.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2009, 02:30:59 PM »
Every time I go to work on Campus Dakota, to try to improve things, I get all caught up in wondering how much it matters.  How many people use the website as well as the message board?  What are they expecting?  How many articles should we post a week--and should we sacrifice quality and depth for quantity "just to get something out there"?  What should be on the main page?  Is it aesthetically pleasing to anyone else but me and pmp6nl?  Was Drupal a good choice, or did we overstep?  How many people do we need to work on the website for it to be worthwhile for people to visit?  How do we attract new schools and new users?

This is what I need to vent about right now--lack of meaningful feedback.

Offline Plantains

• UND
« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2009, 04:43:18 PM »
You have little feedback because this site is on lockdown. if there were bad things... I'd mention them. I'm message board savvy too... not just some dude.

But the site for rel is pretty nice.

Plus: most emoticons of any website atmo.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2009, 05:31:47 PM »
Lockdown?

Sometimes I think we have too many smileys.  There are many better ones out there.

Offline Plantains

• UND
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2009, 06:01:45 PM »
It could be pared down to the good ones and then add new ones... where does one find them?

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2009, 09:30:56 PM »
Every time I go to work on Campus Dakota, to try to improve things, I get all caught up in wondering how much it matters.  How many people use the website as well as the message board?  What are they expecting?  How many articles should we post a week--and should we sacrifice quality and depth for quantity "just to get something out there"?  What should be on the main page?  Is it aesthetically pleasing to anyone else but me and pmp6nl?  Was Drupal a good choice, or did we overstep?  How many people do we need to work on the website for it to be worthwhile for people to visit?  How do we attract new schools and new users?

This is what I need to vent about right now--lack of meaningful feedback.

You know I am right with you on this one.  It is so much work I often wonder if its worth it (more based on current usage)... but I think it is.  While I havent talked about CD to a ton of people, I have talked with a fair number of people... and yes they think it is a worthwhile idea and project.  But of course more specific information on the site would be useful (the things you mentioned among other things).  I have some new contacts I am starting to work with that might help us out with some stuff.  I will keep you posted.

But remember, we have already served a lot of students and we can just keep trying!
CampusDakota.com

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2009, 09:31:59 PM »
It could be pared down to the good ones and then add new ones... where does one find them?

All the smileys we have?  Click on the more link after the row of smileys on the message posting "form"
CampusDakota.com

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2009, 09:36:37 PM »
I think he means new smileys.

Offline Plantains

• UND
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2009, 10:02:41 PM »
I was meaning new smileys as referencing beek. Honestly tho... its not a complaint, this site has a trazillion smileys. and emoticons are worth my time.

Offline Alaska Unicyclist

• UND
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2009, 01:11:05 PM »
:)
"It never gets easier, you just get faster" - Greg Lemond

Offline Plantains

• UND
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2009, 01:19:02 PM »
When previews for movies say "Don't miss... " I always feel guilty when I miss it.

Like tonight, I'm not supposed to miss an all new mythbusters at 9pm on discovery. But I prolly will... but then I won't be able to sleep, because of the guilt.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic