Author Topic: Idea of the day: High School Mountain Bike League  (Read 3818 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Idea of the day: High School Mountain Bike League
« on: January 07, 2010, 07:23:19 PM »
(If you think this is out of the park, wait a couple days and I'll have an even crazier idea!)

Recently featured in Bicycling magazine was the Northern California High School Mountain Bike Racing League (I think; it may have been SoCal).  Wouldn't it be awesome if North Dakota had something like this?  I know there hasn't been a lot of interest in the past for a summer road clinic (Nathan was trying to do one a few years ago) for high schoolers, but maybe mtb is more exciting?

Keep in mind (as always) that I know nothing about what I am talking.  Guardrail is more kid-friendly.  I bring this up because in the article (which I can give to anyone who wants to read it) the guy in charge mentioned trying to expand to other states and I think this sort of thing (starting, coaching, etc.) would fall under our mission.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 07:23:58 PM by Sal Atticum »
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Re: Idea of the day: High School Mountain Bike League
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 09:34:46 AM »
http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/200458/

Seriously, archery is a growing sport in this state, but nobody is interested in mtb at a high school level?  Balls.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 11:56:13 AM »
Happening in Michigan, too.  This story has a few more details about how the league is set up.

http://www.usacycling.org/news/user/story.php?id=6452

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 05:48:34 PM »
I mean it IS a great idea, its just logistically difficult because everyone just wants stuff done for them instead of doing some work themselves...
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 06:34:52 PM »
Oh, I understand.  I fall right into that--I'd love to see it happen, but I can't devote that amount of time to it at this point; there's no getting around it.  I don't even want to get in touch with the local high schools to see about interest because once that happens, I'd be the one in charge of the whole thing.  Don't get me wrong, I think it's a worthwhile pursuit, but then again a) I'd like to graduate someday and b) I'm less qualified than others to coach kids (although coaching at NHRG has helped, I think).

I think my assessment is correct, though.  Wrangling college students is difficult enough; trying to get high school kids and their parents organized might push me over the edge.  The people who can do this are saints.

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 08:40:42 PM »
Oh, I understand.  I fall right into that--I'd love to see it happen, but I can't devote that amount of time to it at this point; there's no getting around it.  I don't even want to get in touch with the local high schools to see about interest because once that happens, I'd be the one in charge of the whole thing.  Don't get me wrong, I think it's a worthwhile pursuit, but then again a) I'd like to graduate someday and b) I'm less qualified than others to coach kids (although coaching at NHRG has helped, I think).

I think my assessment is correct, though.  Wrangling college students is difficult enough; trying to get high school kids and their parents organized might push me over the edge.  The people who can do this are saints.

And we're really pretty far removed from the situation. It'd be different if we knew someone at the school or were somehow directly involved, but coming from the outside makes it basically impossible.

We need some teachers to be interested...
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic
anything