Author Topic: Does Tropic Thunder 'go full retard'?  (Read 2744 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Does Tropic Thunder 'go full retard'?
« on: September 19, 2008, 09:15:31 AM »
Eric Johnson, Grand Forks, column: Avoid 'Tropic Thunder,' a cruel comedy
Published Friday, September 19, 2008
By Eric Johnson

GRAND FORKS — The new movie “Tropic Thunder” is a sad reminder that among all disadvantaged groups in America, the developmentally disabled are unique in the particular brand of prejudice and ridicule they must endure.

Even before its release, the comedy drew fire for its treatment of the mentally disabled. I rushed out to see it, as it piqued my interest on several levels. I’m an occasional stand-up comic, a full-time law professor teaching and writing about media law, and my brother is severely retarded.

Ben Stiller stars in the DreamWorks picture as a struggling actor, the high point of whose career is taking on the role of a man with mental retardation. Stiller’s portrayal of the mentally disabled man is an over-the-top caricature played up for laughs — which it got plenty of when I saw the film.

Meanwhile, co-star Robert Downey Jr.’s character makes copious use of the word “retard.” In a line apparently designed to take root as a popular catch-phrase and T-shirt slogan, Downey’s character warns Stiller’s, “Never go full retard.”

I hope most people will recognize the film for what it is: heartless and cruel.
Continue reading...

Johnson is an assistant professor at the UND law school.

He says he's not asking for anything to be legally done, because of course this falls under first amendment rights.  He's just asking for "civility."  What do you think?
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Meest

• UND
Re: Does Tropic Thunder 'go full retard'?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 12:41:15 AM »
Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one... Some peoples are just larger than others...

Offline Admiral Ackbar

• UND
Re: Does Tropic Thunder 'go full retard'?
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 01:35:08 PM »
Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one... Some peoples are just larger than others...

So who's side are you on?
IT'S A TRAP!!!!1!

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic
anything