Author Topic: Grand Forks Herald article about sponsorship!  (Read 4964 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Grand Forks Herald article about sponsorship!
« on: October 11, 2009, 01:01:42 AM »
http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/136716/

!

UND bike team peddles name on eBay
By: Ryan Bakken, Grand Forks Herald

Have you ever wanted to own your own sports team? And put your name on it?

If so, now is your chance. The UND cycling team (OK, so itʼs not quite the Vikings) is putting its team name up for auction on eBay Monday. If you place the highest bid in the weeklong auction, you land naming rights. In addition to choosing the team name, youʼll receive the best advertising spots on their racing uniforms — the front, the back and the buttocks (highly visible when theyʼre standing on the pedals).

I can see L&M Meats wanting the title rights, so they can plaster an ad on the latter that reads “Get your rump roast at L&M.” Or a cigarette distributor's spot saying “Get your butts from us.” Or maybe even a donkey rental service.

It's likely that a business will secure the naming rights. International cycling teams have been sponsored by the likes of Motorola, Cadillac, Radio Shack, U.S. Postal Service, Discovery Channel and 7/Eleven. Lance Armstrong recently raced for Estona, named after the capital of Kazakhstan, best-known for being the home of Borat.

But that doesn't mean regular people can't go for it. In Grand Forks alone, that means everyone from Aafedt to Zygarlicke.
Maybe all the Johnsons could each chip in $1 to form Team Anderson. There's enough of them around to meet the UND's cycling team's goal of $2,500 for naming rights.

As club spokesman David Cardarelli acknowledges, the naming rights likely will go for less than the $2,500. “Frankly, our goal is to get anything,” he said. “We're a capitalistic system, and we want to see what we're worth.”

A cycling team in Grand Forks doesn't carry the same price tag as a hockey arena, where the going price is $104 million or being a local legend (Gambucci, Purpur). But Cardarelli says it has some value. “Cycling is unique in that we're a moving billboard,” Cardarelli said. “We put on at least 2,000 miles a year training locally. Thatʼs a lot of local advertising.”

There are three other levels of giving — gold, silver, bronze — that will provide fewer perks and lesser jersey advertising positions. They also are up for bids on eBay. “It started as a joke, but then we all started thinking it wouldn't be such a bad idea,” Cardarelli said.

Team members could use some help. Their only school support is $700 from the Student Activity Committee. Racing bikes can cost as much as $6,000, more than a brand-new 1997 Mercury Mystique. And the road-racing season alone costs each member about $1,000 for travel expenses.

To bid or follow the auction, search for “UND Cycling” on eBay or follow the links from the UND Cycling message board at
http://undcycling.campusdakota.com. The title sponsorship auction starts at 6 p.m. Monday, with other level of sponsorships starting on successive days.

“No cycling team is picky about who sponsors them,” Cardarelli said. An Iowa college's team is sponsored by a taco joint, he said. Are you reading, Red Pepper?

Reach Bakken at (701) 780-1125; (800) 477-6572, ext. 125; or send e-mail to [email protected].
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 01:18:42 PM by Sal Atticum »
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline curlingDave

• UND
Re: Grand Forks Herald article about sponsorship!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 10:34:24 AM »
Sweeeeeeeeet!
Life is complex.  It has a real part and an imaginary part.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 02:11:29 PM »
Picked up by KXMB in Bismarck (not sure if they plan to run it on air, but it's on the website at least).

http://www.kxmb.com/news/451319.asp

Offline Mario

• Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired
  • UND
  • Crossing around
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 04:54:31 PM »
now we can only pray...
The minimum number of bikes one should own is three.  The correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned.  This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 04:07:08 PM »
HOLY CRAP! Beek... NICE WORK DUDE!
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Plantains

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 04:07:23 PM »
It even made some blogs in the UK!
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Cycleguy

• UND
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 04:44:37 PM »
it is on MSNBC on MSN webpage.

Offline Plantains

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 04:47:55 PM »
Its on the USAC homepage! But did we send them the press release because they only have the short story!

I'll email Larry and Guthart tonight when I get back from my flight...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 04:52:10 PM by Guardrail »

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 05:46:56 PM »
Looks like it's just pulling news stories with "cycling" in them from the web.  But we should let Larry and Guthart know what's going on in any case.

Offline Mario

• Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired
  • UND
  • Crossing around
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 08:26:15 PM »
WOW!!!
The minimum number of bikes one should own is three.  The correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned.  This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic