Author Topic: UND-Toe'ds Fall Classic Cyclocross Series: RESULTS in 1st post!  (Read 23288 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota

Facebook events:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=140775022635086#!/event.php?eid=140775022635086
http://www.facebook.com/search/?q=cyclocross&init=quick&tas=search_preload#!/event.php?eid=166595206691049

Details
Race 1 - October 31st
* Riverside Park, Grand Forks, North Dakota
* Race starts at 2 PM - show up early to register!
* $15 per race or $30 for series
* Beginner and Advanced categories
* Prize for best costume!
* Schwag giveaways
* Place points count for series championship (how scoring works)

Race 2 - November 7th
* Register: 1:00 PM
* Beginner race: 2:00 PM
* Advanced race: 2:40 PM
* Schwag giveaways

Race 3 - November 14th
* Register: 1:00 PM
* Beginner race: 2:00 PM
* Advanced race: 2:40 PM
* Schwag giveaways
* Series cash prizes awarded after the race

The courses will be designed, all races will be run, and all points will be calculated according to the USA Cycling (USAC) rulebook.  These rules are generally common sense; if you have a specific question about which bicycle you are allowed to ride, please ask.  Helmets are required to race.  How scoring works.

Results and points standings: http://www.und.edu/org/cycling/Races.html
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 11:00:05 AM by Sal Atticum »
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Re: UND-Toe'ds Cyclocross Fall Classic - beginning Halloween!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 08:44:02 PM »
Ted has created a fine map of the Halloween course that he and Dave planned.  It's going to be a lot of fun!

Race 1: Travel will be from the start toward the northwest.
Race 2: Travel will (probably) be from the start toward the southeast (reverse).
Race 3: Travel will (probably) be from the start toward the northwest.

Halloween cyclocross map by Ted by MatthewBK, on Flickr
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 12:28:47 PM by Sal Atticum »

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 12:05:54 AM »
For those of you who may be planning on pre riding the course before race day... let me ask you to please refrain from this as we are trying very hard to control wear and tear on the parks in the community.

So please, ride all you like on any marked trails, but please don't try and emulate this course until race day.

Thanks for your cooperation.
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 02:50:30 PM »
An email will be going out soon asking for volunteers to help set up and control the race course (essentially keeping people from getting hit by riders).  If you aren't on the email list and want to help out, please get in touch with me (Matt) through [email protected].

This is also a shoutout to any local photographers: cyclocross races (and cycling races in general) are really fun to shoot (you know, colors and flying bodies and bicycles and tape and fun with depth of field and fall colors and all that).  If you show up before the race starts we can hook you up with the best spots for gratuitous photography bliss.

Keep in mind the race starts at 2 PM, so if you are volunteering beforehand we need you there a few hours early (more info later), if you are volunteering during the race wee need you there by 1 PM.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 02:00:00 PM by Sal Atticum »

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 12:13:39 PM »
How scoring works for the series
See the attached table below this post.  Your score for each race will depend on the number of riders--more riders=more points and more places get points.  If you start as beginner and want to move up, you can race advanced in the next race(s), but you only get to keep half your beginner points toward your series total.  but you will lose all of your beginner points.

Example 1: you're a man racing three races as beginner.  You win each race (sandbagger), and each race had 12 male riders.  Your point total would be 4+4+4=12 points for the series.

Example 2: you're a woman racing three races as advanced.  You place as follows in each race: 2nd out of 3 women, 3rd out of 12 women, and 4th out of 21 women.  Your points respectively would be 2+2+2=6 points for the series.  If you had won each of those races, you'd have 3+4+5=12 points for the series.

Example 3: you're that guy from Example 1.  After your first race (which you won, 1st out of 12 male riders, 4 points), you want to move up to advanced.  In the next two advanced races, you get 4th out of 6 male riders (no points) and then 3rd out of 11 male riders (2 points).  Your points for the series would be 2+0+2=4 points (only half your beginner points transfer, so you get 2 instead of 4 for the first race).  This rule has been changed.  You will lose all of your beginner points if you move up.  We will work on a better algorithm for this for next year, sorry if it caused any confusion.

It's going to be exciting to see how this all shakes out over three weeks.  We'll get results and point totals up as soon as we can after each race so you can plot your next move...

EDIT: There is one exception we are making to following this table.  Because some races (notably the female categories) may have fewer than five riders, we are extending the first points grouping to 1-10 riders (from 5-10 that it says).  So even if there are fewer than five riders in a race, they will get points respectively.  This is reflected in the results that have been posted so far.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 11:22:50 AM by Sal Atticum »

Offline Plantains

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 01:29:13 PM »
And for the record. This is also EXACTLY how it would work for a USAC race.
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Zach Johnson

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 11:19:21 AM »
How long are the races for beginner and advanced? mass start?

Offline Plantains

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 01:47:21 PM »
Yes they're mass start (all normal cyclocross rules would be applicable). Times will be determined most likely at the start. I would expect beginner to run 30 minutes + 2 laps and advanced 45 minutes + 2 laps.

Offline Plantains

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 06:29:58 PM »
FYI:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/181209/

Yes, we've been monitoring that situation and have contingency plans in place. We expect the race will still be happening as planned.

Offline Andrew Mills

• UND
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 10:28:44 PM »
Hey guys,  do you know the order of the races on Sunday,  also, what time would you like me to show up??

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 10:33:51 PM »
If you are helping set up the course, we'll be out sometime in the morning on Sunday and I will have to let you know when.

If you are racing, the races start at 2 PM, so be there before (time enough to register, pin your number on, and take some hot laps).

Original intention is to run the races concurrently, but if more than X number of people show up (X being a number that has yet to be determined), we'll run beginner first and advanced second.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 10:34:42 PM by Sal Atticum »

Offline Plantains

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 10:54:04 PM »
People planning on racing should anticipate being there about 1pm. to register. Volunteers should expect to show up around then as well unless sal atticum says anything different. There are different "levels" of volunteers, so some will probably be out at about 8am.

People should consider the incredible amount of work, time, and energy that goes into an event like this and cut our volunteers some slack accordingly. Not to mention you should DEFINITELY be THANKING each and every one of them that is at the race.

Offline Plantains

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2010, 02:24:30 AM »
Questions that have come up:

1. What time should I get there?

A: If you are volunteering, try to show up about 1230-100 unless you have been asked to show up earlier or later specifically. If you are racing, expect to show up at about the same time. Use good judgment. The races START at 2pm and registration opens at 1pm.

2. Can non-UND students participate?

A: Yes. In any and all capacity. Race, Volunteer, Spectate.

3. Can we throw marshmallows at the racers?

A: Cyclocross is a niche sport within a niche sport. I'm sure many of the racers won't mind some friendly marshmallow tossing, but some will. Remember, this IS a competitive event and some people are more competitive than others. Use good judgment, and remember... what goes around comes around... who wants a muddy hug?

4. I'm not certain about my bicycle or ability... what should I do?

A: Of all the bicycling events that are available in our state, this Halloween race is going to be the most "beginner friendly". The weather will be great (ouwxguesser back me up on this), the race will have a little bit more of a fun atmosphere, and there will be plenty of experienced riders at the event that you can get some tips from if you're looking to get more seriously involved. It is a timed event, so you'll finish when the leaders finish, so no worries if you feel "slow" (I always say "racing" is a relative term). As for your bicycle, we'll have people racing on everything from mountain bikes, 29ers, hybrid bicycles, road bikes, single speeds, extracycles, and full blown cross racing machines... basically... if you have a bike, you can race it. If you show up and it's something crazy, we'll hopefully be able to get it into "racing shape" before the start... (but with our mechanics... I won't guarantee that lol).

5. What type of clothes should I wear?

A: Alot of us are pretty serious cyclists, so we'll be wearing the full spandex. So feel free to come wearing that, or make fun of us for wearing it... just don't make fun of our sponsors because they're the ones who allow us to run these great events. Tights and long sleeves are good... each person has there own temperature threshold. Bring extra stuff. You can always take some stuff off during the warm-up.

MAKE SURE YOU WEAR A COSTUME. Otherwise... *shakes fist*

6. How can I pay for this?

A: We take cash or check.

7. Do I need a helmet?

A: YES! While this race isn't technically a USA Cycling event (we did this on purpose... trust us, we have a plan) there are no rules. That said, we will be running this race EXACTLY like a USAC event rulewise. So in fact there are tons of rules. (Don't worry... it's straight forward)... However, you will NEED a helmet for this race. You will NEED to have that helmet ON and SECURED ANY TIME YOU ARE ON YOUR BIKE! Even if the race hasn't started, even if you're just going to the car to get something, even if you're just registering. The only time you don't NEED to wear a helmet, is if you're on rollers or a trainer.

Not to mention... it's just a really good idea.

8. Dave, alot of the crap you say makes no sense. Is there something wrong with me?

A: No Billy... it's completely normal not to understand all of this cycling mumbo jumbo. In fact, one of the reasons that the UND Cycling Club and the UND Cycling Team host events like this is to expand the cycling knowledge and culture in and around the Grand Forks Community. So if any of this stuff sound confusing or complicated, don't worry... it will be made perfectly clear.

Above all else... this is a cycling event. Try not to worry about all the little details, and just have some fun. Let us do the worrying for you.

Hope to see you all there!

LaurenFu

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2010, 09:03:17 AM »
posting Dave's explanation on the facebook event. Good explanation for questions my friends who are doing it have been asking.

Offline OUWxGuesser

• UND
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2010, 11:01:02 AM »
Had a great time at the cyclocross!  I went ahead and signed up for the other two races so I'll see you guys next weekend.  I'd be happy to help setup/takedown if you need assistance. 

Offline red hibiscus

• UND
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2010, 11:30:11 AM »
I agree---OUTSTANDING race yesterday with an impressive turnout! Kudos to Ted,  Beek, Dave, and everyone else!

Offline Mario

• Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired
  • UND
  • Crossing around
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2010, 04:24:46 PM »
I'm very glad to see all this guys. Good work.
The minimum number of bikes one should own is three.  The correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned.  This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2010, 05:50:44 PM »
A note to those of you doing all three races: keep your numbers to wear next week and the week after!

Offline Plantains

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2010, 08:10:49 PM »
A note to those of you doing all three races: keep your numbers to wear next week and the week after!

DAMNIT! THAT was the other thing I meant to tell you!

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic
anything