Author Topic: SDSU low on laptops  (Read 5406 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
SDSU low on laptops
« on: September 11, 2008, 09:15:36 AM »
09/10/2008
SDSU Affected By Laptop Shortage
Read Comments
Post Comment
South Dakota State University if facing the wait as well. The college didn't offer us specific numbers on those students affected.  But the Nursing program at SDSU requires their students to purchase laptops through the school as they have online classes, textbooks and quizzes. And now that backlog is causing some major traffic at computer labs across campus.

Colleges across the area are working to improve their technology. Paper quizzes and books are quickly becoming a thing of the past. But now those laptops students depend upon so heavily aren't showing up.

Kyle Anderson is a freshman Pharmacy major waiting for his laptop and says, "I got an email that said August 25 and I said oh that's not a problem its before school. Then I got another email that said oh we are not sure when we'll be able to ship that laptop."

Anderson says he order his computer more than 2 1/2 months ago. "My chem book is online and I can't access it with out walking to the library or someplace else."
Continued...

Although it's horrible that these laptops haven't been delivered yet, I'm more concerned about the direction education is going.  Rather than having quizzes and tests that make students think AND learn how to express themselves, we're moving towards multiple-choice online assessments--which might make students think a little more, but make it easier to cheat and don't make students explain why they got the answer they got, or be able to show their work. 

It's also disappointing that schools are moving towards entirely online or digital textbooks, at the expense of those students who can't afford a computer (where computers are not a required purchase) or just don't want to deal with lugging a computer around.  Although most of the time you can depend on power for the computer, internet access is far from universal.

As for having to go to the computer lab to do assignments, get homework, and check email:  I know that the computer was required, I know that you expected to get it, and I know that Gateway and SDSU dropped the ball on this one.  The fact is, we have to deal with these situations.  If you want an education, you'll go to the computer lab and deal with everyone else around you.  If you want an education, you'll find a solution, even if that involves printing off an entire textbook (or finding one that covers the same material but exists in hardcopy).  If you don't want an education, if you don't think you can be bothered to go to the computer lab because you were "entitled" to something that was promised you and then denied (wait, political parallel here?), then maybe you aren't cut out to be a student.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 09:16:10 AM by Sal Atticum »
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic