Author Topic: Velodrome  (Read 37125 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Re: Velodrome
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2011, 06:59:07 PM »
I think there is another one here, but it would have the same problems (47.914448°, -97.024485°).
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2011, 07:14:56 PM »
Maybe we should just do this instead.  [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CgmOI_bN34[/youtube]

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2011, 11:48:36 PM »
SANDERS! BUILD A VELODROME OR RISK FACING THE PENALTIES!
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2011, 09:46:46 AM »
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national-cycling-association-unveils-plan-velodrome-bmx-park-kingsbridge-armory-article-1.971978
It would cost $700,000 to build a temporary velodrome in the Kingsbridge Armory and put on free clinics for local youth next spring, Simes said, vowing to get the cash from private sponsors.

I still don't understand the hoopla over six-day races though.  Why don't US velodromes focus on getting people into the sport rather than immediately jumping into wanting to hold six-day races?

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Velodrome (public)
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2012, 07:43:39 AM »
I'm bringing my wish for a velodrome public.  That is most of it.

Meanwhile, it apparently costs $7 million to build a new hockey rink in Grand Forks.  I wish we could get people half as excited about cycling (a pursuit that can be learned as a child and practiced to all degrees for a person's entire life, is good exercise, reduces traffic congestion, and is entertaining to watch) as they are about hockey.  I'm not dumping on hockey, but maybe some of you understand the frustration.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/229291/
Quote from: Ryan Bakken at the Herald
Advocates for adding a $7 million hockey arena to Grand Forks’ landscape are in the educational stage. The start of the arm-twisting stage is uncertain.

“The big picture is that we have to inform the public that there is a need first,” said Gary Harris, the Grand Forks Park District Foundation’s developmental director.

“That awareness phase will go on until we think we have saturated the population about what this is all about.”

It’s about securing more ice time for hockey players and figure skaters, Harris said. That message has been given to three service groups, with eight more on his schedule.

After the presentations and before the public campaign, the district hopes to sell the arena’s naming rights for $2 million. Soliciting pledges are at least “months away,” Park District Director John Staley said.

Already promised is $2.5 million from the Grand Forks Blue Line Club, a youth hockey organization that gets most of its money from charitable gaming. The Blue Line Club already has its name on an arena near Red River High School.

With the naming rights money and the Blue Line Club pledge, another $2.5 million would be needed from a public campaign.

“We can’t build until we get it all pledged,” Staley said.

An ice time need

Harris’ pitch includes comparing Grand Forks’ skating facilities to two other so-called hockey towns.

“Roseau has three rinks and 250 kids and hosts 10 youth tournaments a season,” he said. “East Grand Forks has three rinks, 400 kids and six tournaments. Grand Forks has four rinks, 1,500 kids and one tournament.”

The $7 million facility would be located near Choice Health and Fitness on the 41 acres owned by the Park District on the far south end. It would have two ice sheets under its roof, with each having seating for 500. The facility would be the home to youth hockey and figure skating competitions on weekends.

“One 24-team tournament on a weekend can bring more than $310,000 into our economy,” Harris said. “Besides the need for more tournaments, there is a need for more places to practice.”

The arena will have eight dressing rooms, with $50,000 commitments for naming rights for three of them.

Hockey has its backers

The fund-raising effort comes on the heels of raising $28 million in donations, sponsorships and leases to remodel the YMCA and build Choice Health & Fitness, which is expected to be ready by Sept. 1.

Staley said it isn’t too soon to start another campaign after the Choice effort, which took four years.

“There is still a lot of money out there and people who are more motivated toward hockey than health and fitness,” Staley said.

He said fund-raising may take two years or more.

“You don’t want to draw any lines in the sand for a timetable,” he said. “That can be a death knell. You start it, see how people are interested and go from there.”

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Re: Velodrome (public)
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2012, 11:50:19 AM »
Oops, I forgot this would get posted to Facebook as a new thread.  Rather than rehash some of this idea, if I have time I'll go through the thread on the team board and make sure everything is okay to post out here.

EDIT: Threads merged.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 04:42:07 PM by Sal Atticum »

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2012, 11:58:31 AM »

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2012, 04:37:30 PM »
This (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/20/nyregion/40-million-pledged-for-brooklyn-bridge-park.html?_r=1) is twenty times (or more) what we would need to build an indoor velodrome in Grand Forks.  I guess we would just have to use the rest of it for operational costs for the next fifty years.

Offline Alaska Unicyclist

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2012, 11:09:38 PM »
so true...
"It never gets easier, you just get faster" - Greg Lemond

Offline Alaska Unicyclist

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2012, 11:10:01 PM »
beek, didn't you know? It's all about cars!
"It never gets easier, you just get faster" - Greg Lemond

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2012, 08:09:35 AM »
You know, the fairgrounds would be another good place for a velodrome.  Right next to the dirt car-racing track.

Just had this news from DerKruser:
2 yrs go there were 2 racing surfaces looking for a home & needing $500k seeding investment to get placed.
now there are zero. Lots of missed opportunities.
I posted something to the mcf board, not really expecting anything to happen, but was told that 500 ppl (cont'd)
@ $1k apiece was nuts. They were quite obvs right... Cyclists are cheap

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2012, 06:51:43 PM »
For half the cost of new turf for the football team (being donated by Altru) we could build a velodrome.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/243902/

Offline OUWxGuesser

• UND
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2012, 01:11:29 PM »
where on earth did you find that??? 

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2012, 10:04:20 AM »
It came up in a Google search, I have no idea of the provenance.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2012, 08:11:47 AM »
Just an update, I haven't had a great deal of time to look into this idea in the last year or so.  I still think it could be a great draw for people looking for a winter activity (riding, racing, or watching), maybe could be joined onto another project (like a hockey rink) as long as the cost wasn't blow completely out of proportion (remember, we could build an indoor track for less than $500,000 according to this guy).  It would be a draw for Winnipeg cyclists year-round and for the Twin Cities during the winter.

Again in other news, the Ralph Engelstad Foundation has pledged $500,000 (matching required) to the $7 million hockey rink mentioned above.  Just saying that if you have the right people involved, they know the people with money and stuff will happen...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 04:27:24 PM by Sal Atticum »

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2012, 02:59:56 PM »

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2012, 06:29:39 PM »

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2013, 04:22:09 PM »
The city of Des Plains, Illinois (north of Chicago) is looking to build an indoor velodrome: http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20120621/business/706219957/

:(

They have about the same number of people as Grand Forks, granted they are part of a larger metropolitan area.  I wonder why the lead with $2 million when the starting price could be quite a bit lower.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 04:23:28 PM by Sal Atticum »

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic
anything