Author Topic: Want to make some SICK money. Become an Official! (we NEED officials!)  (Read 5507 times)

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
So as many of you may or may not know. I am currently the only (yes ONLY) Official for USA Cycling in the entire state of North Dakota.

I however, am relinquishing my monopoly on this position come December/January when I make my way back east.

So. If you've been thinking that:

1. You're strapped for cash.
2. You really like cycling, but maybe racing isn't your thing.
3. You want to help the great sport of cycling grow in the great state of North Dakota.
4. You truly BELIEVE in what UND Cycling is trying to do for this community and want to help out any way you can.

Or any number of other reasons.

Please mention that you are interested in this thread.

A little about officiating.

You will basically take a course put on by the great and infamous Larry Martin. He was our Conference Director, but was promoted to the Regional Coordinator for USAC. This guy has done it all. Tour of Cali, Tour of Georgia, I think he has 4 or 5 pro cyclists locked up in his basement next to his titanium bicycles tbph.

The class is a couple of hours. (It will take an evening, but damn I did it the night AFTER I just raced a road race and a TTT, AND I had hw, AND we didn't even GET there until 3am that weekend) So it shouldn't be an issue. I haven't worked out a location yet, but Larry is based out of Minneapolis, so worst case scenario, we'll have to go there.

The class is a power point thingy and Larry goes through some of his war stories. It's not hard. You get a rule book. You take a test. The test is cake. (Dudes. I passed it while I was in glycogen debt.)

The AMAZING part. While a collegiate OR a regular USAC racing license will cost you $30 a piece. An Officials license will cost you $35. The payouts though are great.

The Chief Referee makes $80/day or $40/day if the event is less than 5 hours. (Most of the smaller scale stuff is billed on half day)
The Chief Judge (less experienced guy) gets paid $60/day or $30/ half day (5 hours or less).

You'll get paid .46/mile to and from. You'll also get food or a stipend for food during an event that is longer than a half day. And you'll get reimbursed for your lodging if it was necessary for you to travel there.

So basically, if you do one event every year (even less really) you'll be making money. WHICH YOU CAN BUY BIKES WITH!  ;D

Anyways. I know some people have expressed interest in this. It couldn't hurt to have a bunch of people that have the training. Maybe even rotate for who gets to get "paid" (By the way, I officiated all of the UND Cycling events for free. You wouldn't be expected to do that per se, but I wasn't doing it for the money, I was doing it to get cycling going here (man... what should I have said there to make me not sound like I'm being pompass?) Anyways.

If people are even INTERESTED, please post here. You won't be committing to anything until I make more firm details with you, obviously.

If anyone has ANY questions about what you have to "do" during races, or what it's like to officiate etc. please DO NOT HESITATE TO ASK. I am an open book on this topic.

Carry on.
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
I am posting here to express my interest in your exciting offer.
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Plantains

lol.
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Cycleguy

• UND
Ia m nterested in this. It would be great to now more of the rules and for the oppurtunity.

Offline Plantains

Ia m nterested in this. It would be great to now more of the rules and for the oppurtunity.

Hey Joe, not to belittle what an awesome opportunity this is, but so you and anyone else is aware, you can find a complete rulebook via download here:

http://www.usacycling.org/news/user/story.php?id=4220

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Hopefully working something out for next month.  Stay tuned.

Dave, I had to come here to find out how much we have to pay officials, because I couldn't find it ANYWHERE on the USAC website.

Offline Plantains

Haha... it's REALLY hard to find! There should be a memo or an adendum... something to the effect of "schedule of fees" somewhere on there... I'll see if I can dig it up.

Offline Plantains

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
I don't think I ever read that far down that page . . . good catch.

8. Officials' Fees

(a) Daily fee.

The organizer shall pay licensed officials a daily fee based on the race category. The fees are based on the highest race category for that day, plus the cost of reasonable and necessary travel. The tables below shows the minimum fee based on the race category.

For the tables below, the race day is considered to be one hour before the first race starts until one half hour after the last race finishes1.
Half-Day Race (5 hours or less)1

Race Category   
Chief Referee   
Chief Judge2   
Other Officials

NC/NRC (*)   
$120   
$85   
$70

A   
$105   
$75   
$60

B   
$75   
$60   
$45

C-E   
$50   
$35   
$30

* note that these fees apply to officials assigned by USA Cycling

Full-Day Race (Between 5 and 9 hours)

Race Category   
Chief Referee   
Chief Judge1   
Other Officials

NC/NRC (*)   
$200   
$140   
$115

A   
$175   
$125   
$100

B   
$125   
$100   
$75

C-E   
$80   
$60   
$50

* note that these fees apply to officials assigned by USA Cycling

Overtime Race

For any race that goes over 9 hours, officials will be paid for the time over 9 hours at a rate of $20 per hour, paid in increments every 15 minutes.

1 This figure assumes that the official was onsite and working an hour before and until a half hour after. Officials who arrive late or are released earlier will use their actual onsite and working time to determine their hours worked.

2 Also Starter, Secretary, and Judge/Referee in track events, Chief Timer in time trials, Secretary and Finish Judge in mountain bike races, commissaires that are part of the jury for International road and track races who are not assigned by the UCI, and Assistant Chief Referees in road events when assigned by USA Cycling. At UCI calendar races in the United States when there is a foreign Chief Commissaire, one American official may be designated to be the liaison with USA Cycling and receive a higher fee as determined by USA Cycling.

For stage races, the full daily fee shall be paid for each day, beginning with the prologue and including any rest days.

Officials who are required to be at an event for a non-competition day, such as registration, team meetings, or stage race rest days, will receive half day fees. For track events that take place in two sessions, an official who works only one of the sessions will be paid half day fees.

(b) Site Visits.When deemed necessary by USAC or a Local Association, the organizer will pay the Chief Referee or another designated official $25 for a pre-event venue inspection trip plus $15 for each venue inspection report, in addition to travel expenses.

(c) Expenses. In addition to the daily fee, the organizer shall provide each official with the following:

(1) Round trip transportation from the official's home and during the race, or reimbursement for the transportation according to the published rates of USA Cycling (see part 10, below);

(2) In one-day races lasting five hours or more, either a meal or $10 additional; for races of more than one day when an overnight stay is required, either two meals a day or $25 per day;

(3) Basic housing when overnight lodging is necessary before, during, or after the race;

(4) Reimbursement for any other expenses that are reasonable and necessary for the official's duties.

(d) Cancellation. If it is necessary for any reason to cancel a race after the officials have begun their travel, the Organizer will pay each official for their actual expenses and at least half of the daily fee.

10. Travel Expenses

Individuals traveling on approved official business on behalf of USA Cycling shall be reimbursed normal and actual documented expenses. Transportation expenses shall be reimbursed at 46 cents per mile for travel by personal vehicle but shall not exceed the cost of the lowest practicable airfare. The CEO may specify a more restrictive arrangement.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 01:09:46 PM by Sal Atticum »

Offline Plantains

Hahaha. It's all listed in my original post, AND you cut out a bunch of it including part 10 which has the mileage reimbursement which is .46/mile.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Re: Want to make some SICK money. Become an Official! (we NEED officials!)
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2011, 01:10:26 PM »
I just wanted to see if there was a mode current list of fees.  Section 10 added.

Offline Plantains

Re: Want to make some SICK money. Become an Official! (we NEED officials!)
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2011, 01:56:51 PM »
It gets updated with every rulebook edition iirc...

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic