Author Topic: HD-DVD Dead  (Read 4341 times)

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
HD-DVD Dead
« on: February 17, 2008, 09:30:28 PM »
Well I am sad, HD-DVD is dead  :'(

TOKYO (Reuters) - Toshiba Corp is planning to stop production of equipment compatible with the HD DVD format for high-definition video, allowing the competing Blu-Ray camp a free run, public broadcaster NHK reported on Saturday.

Toshiba is expected to suffer losses amounting to tens of billions of yen (hundreds of millions of dollars) to scrap production of HD DVD players and recorders and other steps to exit the business, Japan's NHK said on its website.

No one at Toshiba could be reached for comment.

The format war between the Toshiba-backed HD DVD and Sony Corp's Blu-Ray, often compared to the Betamax-VHS battle in the 1980s, has slowed the development of what is expected to be a multibillion dollar high-definition DVD industry.

Toshiba was dealt a blow on Friday when Wal-Mart Stores Inc said it would abandon the HD DVD format, becoming the latest in a series of top retailers and movie studios to rally behind Blu-ray technology for high definition DVDs.

Toshiba plans to continue selling HD DVD equipment at stores for the time being but will not put resources into developing new devices, NHK said.

(Reporting by Nathan Layne, editing by Mike Peacock)
http://www.reuters.com/article/companyNewsAndPR/idUSL1627196120080216

Maybe I am sad because I dont like Sony...IDK.  Well the format war sure was short.  I really feel sorry for all those people that bought HD-DVD stuff.

Oh well thats life I suppose.
CampusDakota.com

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Re: HD-DVD Dead
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 10:21:59 PM »
Boooooooo!  I was just reading this in USA Today.

HD DVD just makes more sense.
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic