Author Topic: Fall 2011 MTB and Cyclocross: scheduling  (Read 4657 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Fall 2011 MTB and Cyclocross: scheduling
« on: July 06, 2011, 10:09:05 AM »
MNCF had a schedule up last month for cx season.  Any reason we can't nail down any dates now?

http://www.mcf.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2605&start=0

We also need someone to plan an alleycat for the second week of school and to work in anything else we want to do this fall.  If people want to do it the first weekend, that's cool too, but that's END-AR so a lot of potential competitors may be out.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 01:43:09 PM by Sal Atticum »
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
It seems hard?
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline OUWxGuesser

• UND
I'm more than happy to assist with planning. I just need some guidance as I have no clue what all is involved. 

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Well, "assisting with planning" tends to go one of two ways: either you end up doing very little because the person you're assisting just keeps doing what he or she does, or you end up doing everything because that person realizes you're much better at it.  We can only help you're in the second category ;)

What I'm doing right now is trying to nail down dates for another 3-race CX series here in Grand Forks.  This entails
- Looking at races that are the same weekend in MN, to avoid overlap (the calendar is pretty much all on Northern Plains Athletics right now)
- Looking at any races that are happening in Fargo, to avoid overlap (I've emailed a few people to see if anything is happening)
- Looking at potential collegiate races to which we would want to travel, to avoid overlap (collaborating with Megan from U of M to drum up a real collegiate 'cross season; waiting for her response)
- Emailing Larry because I have no idea if we have ever had a North Dakota State Cyclocross Championship, in which case it would be sweet to have one, probably on the same weekend as the MN state championship (19 November)
- Avoiding Halloween weekend, during which END-TOMBED is happening

As a completely separate aspect of planning, having races here, especially if they are USAC, is going to require we have a solid, solid cx foundation in the club (or at least the team) members so that they want to be there, which means figuring out how to get people out to try cx in the first place, having some skills clinics, and maybe having some training races in October.

ON A DIFFERENT SUBJECT, END-AR is on the 27-28 August now, so technically we could host a collegiate MTB race at Laddies Loppet at Maplelag on Labor Day weekend this year (http://www.maplelag.com/posts/sports/3086).  This would be something we could work with Larry and the Maplelag crew to get happening, but also we'd need to talk to the rest of the conference to see if they would be interested.  This is a great weekend of racing with a lot of good energy, check out the link for the details.  Hopefully I won't be destroyed for a full week after END-AR.

Offline sanders

• UND
LADDIES LOPPET!!!!!!!!!!!! :bananas:
Alone you are an athlete but on a bike you are a rocket

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Re: Fall 2011 MTB and Cyclocross: scheduling
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 07:23:15 PM »
Also Aaron, if you're interested in helping CX grow you could help figure out a general practice course that doesn't need to be taped off and doesn't get in anyone's way.  I'm still thinking Riverside Park area, but maybe you know of another place where we could get some decent runups without having to cross the path.  They don't need to be long, just steep.

Offline OUWxGuesser

• UND
Re: Fall 2011 MTB and Cyclocross: scheduling
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 09:30:37 PM »
a general practice course that doesn't need to be taped off and doesn't get in anyone's way.

Good timing... I got bored the other day so I made up a little circuit along the sled hill near Lincoln Park along Belmont Road.  Lots of open field so I would climb the dike on one side, ride down the dike then drop at the other end (near the golf course), then ride back in the grass...  There are some little pine trees you can weave around near the pump house and smaller "hills".  Pretty easy to set up a few cones and have a practice course.  There's also ample parking since there is a lot right there. 

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic