Author Topic: Young Americans are the DUMBEST generation  (Read 4559 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Young Americans are the DUMBEST generation
« on: July 27, 2008, 12:13:48 PM »
Today`s Young Americans Are the Dumbest Generation Mark Bauerlein argues that ``the digital age stupefies young Americans and jeopardizes our future.`` Yes? No? Thoughts?

Yes, I am abusing my admin privilege of the [ html ] tags.  But what do you think?  Do you think that what we supposedly lack in book smarts we make up for in street smarts?  Or do we really (as a statistic) just suck at life?

EDIT: Darn, I thought that would embed.  O well, you all get MySpace silliness.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 12:15:00 PM by Sal Atticum »
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
Re: Young Americans are the DUMBEST generation
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 09:10:53 PM »
Bah,

While he may have a few valid points I think he is making way too many generalities.  First of all he needs to get his ages straight, at one point there is mention of those under 30 at another point he is talking about teens... there is a huge range in there and you cant clump a group like that together so simply.

He makes tons of references to history and some literature, however you cant base everything on these.  Just because someone doesnt know this or that about history doesnt make them dumb.  What about the fact that I can learn more about a topic by simply going on wikipedia (a article with sources) and learn about something not readily taught or accessible in past generations.

He has some valid claims, this generation may not be as smart in some areas, but I am willing to bet they greatly excel in others.

I think he has a bit of trouble understanding our generation.  Also, I am sure his generation and others have wasted time doing this or that.

Maybe I will pick up his book since I dont read enough.

CampusDakota.com

Offline zman

• NDSU
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 09:44:37 PM »
There are dumb people in every generation, this one as with past ones are no exception.

I agree with pmp though, too may generalities.

This guy needs some more evidence to backup his claims.  I saw hogwash.

Offline ajekt

• NDSU
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 02:49:53 PM »
Oh bullshit.

N-D-S-U ... Goooooo Bison!

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic
anything