Poll

How Frequently do you follow traffic laws as a cyclist?

Always! I always signal and follow all rules of the road
0 (0%)
Almost always...Exceptions are made based on context
5 (83.3%)
Rarely
1 (16.7%)
Never! Each person for themselves
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: April 23, 2008, 01:21:00 PM

Author Topic: Traffic Laws  (Read 10841 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Re: Traffic Laws
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2008, 11:26:00 PM »
Plus... if I actually had to stop, I'd never get a good workout. I'd hit at least 15 packed 4 way stops in the first 5 miles of my route to anywhere.

Um . . . you do have to stop.  That's also a horribly selfish argument.  I could just as easily say that I should be able to run bikes off the road because I don't like the way they look.
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2008, 01:47:54 PM »
yes THAT is. You can't take it out of context. The reason I DON'T stop is to help the flow of traffic. A car stopping at a stop sign vs. a bike stopping at a stop sign will be far quicker. So if I have the right of way (stopped 1st) and a car has to sit there and wait for me to push off, clip back in, and start to accelerate through the intersection, they'll be waiting there for an extra 5 seconds.

I'd be run off the road. Plain and simple. People around here would MUCH rather have a cyclist time the stop signs and move WITH the flow of traffic, instead of impeding it.
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2008, 02:42:11 PM »
I would suggest that people would much rather have a  cyclist be predictable in traffic.  I'm not saying stop and unclip, just stop momentarily (the way most cars almost do) and then proceed.  The way you describe it seems like your saying we should look both ways and then blow the stop sign.

Unfortunately, what we need is some sort of recognition (and in the driver's manual no less) of how cyclists operate in a pragmatic world.  I think enacting laws like Idaho's would be a good start, but I think that drivers should know more about bicycles in general.

For our part, we need to be predictable.  I stop at stop signs, some people roll through, and some just fly through, which makes all of us look bad.

Offline Plantains

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2008, 03:49:16 PM »
Being predictable is exactly what Im doing. By simply out thinking the motorist. When I come up to a stop sign, the cars at the intersection know exactly what Im about to do. I time it appropriately so that I go through at the appropriate time. Im not blowing stop signs. A cyclist that stops at every stop sign isn't predictable at all. Cars will sit there forever and wait for you to go through the stop sign. So how is that helping anyone? Thats how accidents happen. When 2 cars are sitting there waving each other because no one has any idea who has the right of way. Then one goes and the other goes, then they both stop, wave again, they both go... its just stupid. In fact, thats how I got hit my 1st 2 times. Once running and once riding. Because cars waved me through and I was planning to stop. Now they're expecting me to go. They see me stopping and then they go but they already waved me so I had began to accelerate again and bam.

The only way to be predictable to a motorist is to time it and go through at your turn without affecting traffic flow or by unclipping. You can think that trackstanding at a stop sign is safer, but it will just create confusion.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 03:51:31 PM by Guardrail »
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2008, 05:57:18 PM »
Okay, I think I see what you're saying now.  I agree that it makes sense when you time it so that it's your turn to go through.  Do people really react well to this?  I don't have a lot of experience with the idea of timing it, it seems like people would just see another cyclist blowing a stop sign (when in fact you were going on your turn, but it looks like you just happened to roll through when you saw a gap in the traffic flow (which there would have been, if you were a car, but they aren't expecting there to be, because you're on a bicycle).

Sheesh, this is a tricky subject.  Maybe we should invent a "me next" hand signal or something (when you're approaching the intersection, point at the person you're going to enter the intersection after or something).  I'm just brainstorming.

EDIT:  Realized more pointing wasn't going to help, since we point for turns.  Rrrrr.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 06:53:13 PM by Sal Atticum »

Offline Plantains

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2008, 10:09:13 PM »
Well... when I go through a stop sign and Im going straight, I almost always go through it with a car so other traffic probably doesn't even realize a cyclist has just gone through.

When Im making a turn, I always pass along the thank you wave to the cars whether they waved me through or not. The traffic reacts really well to it. I've never been beeped at for it. When Im approaching the stop sign to, I think my body language makes it clear what I'm trying to do. Thats the point that I was making regarding you have to be going fast enough so they know ur going through it, but not too fast that it looks like you're disrespecting the law. When I come up to the signs, I'm usually not pedaling, Im out of the saddle, and looking all around so as to see what the beat is. I don't start pedaling again until I'm pretty much at the stop sign and I carry through the turns.

I need to figure out a helmet mount for my camera and get a video. It would make it way more clear.

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2008, 08:30:32 PM »
This really isnt that related but since I started riding I am sick of people parking on sidewalks, having their cars hang over sidewalks, and stopping in the cross walk... common now!
CampusDakota.com

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2008, 11:43:32 AM »
Here's a new one:  http://honorthestop.org/

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota

Offline nathan.barten

• UND
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2008, 10:21:12 PM »
This has been an interesting thread.  I like to see that everyone seems to try to follow the rules pretty well.  I generally stop at any stop sign or stop light whether or not there's traffic coming.  As Yost knows from riding with me I tend to not ever run through a stop-light.  I honestly don't see any reason not to stop at a sign.  Even during a workout I'll usually stop at any place I would in a car.  That's why I workout outside of town where there aren't stop signs.  Also, a note on the hand signals...  I was once told by a policeman to point in the direction I'll be turning.  It helps prevent confusion.  The hand signals that everyone was taught in Drivers Ed. were invented for cars before they had turn signals.  Since only the left hand of a driver could be seen, it made sense to make them that way.  Also, legally both forms of signal are acceptable and there isn't any one way that's better than another.  Point is...  Just USE them.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 10:22:08 PM by nathan.barten »

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic
anything