Author Topic: Facebook still amuses me  (Read 7623 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Facebook still amuses me
« on: March 24, 2009, 07:35:29 PM »
...mostly because it lacks what made it great.  It used to be for getting to know people.  Now it's for watching EVERYTHING EVERYBODY DOES BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!

I got a little carried away there...

Anyway, I think this guy gets it:
AvenueOfTheStrongest
4:09 PM on Fri Mar 20 2009

Here's the problem with the redesign. Twitter is a micro-blog. The 140 character Livejournal.

Facebook is not a blog. In its old form it was a really great PHONEBOOK. A phonebook that not only updated your acquaintance's (most FB friends are not friends) contact info, but also gave you a general summary of their life. It was a big picture kind of thing: Where they are, who they're dating, what school or job they have, and how to contact them. It was never about "sharing" your daily thoughts on how great your panini was or omg gossip girl is back! The livejournal twit-blog crap is messing up the phonebook interface.
(should be the top comment on the page once it loads).

Whaddaya think?
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
Re: Facebook still amuses me
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 09:28:06 PM »
I agree with that.  Facebook has been trying to be what its not and has been changing too much.

Like the other day I couldnt even find how to get to the events page or a number of other things... the redesign sucks.

Oh well, such is life.
CampusDakota.com

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 09:17:58 AM »
I agree with that.  Facebook has been trying to be what its not and has been changing too much.

Like the other day I couldnt even find how to get to the events page or a number of other things... the redesign sucks.

Oh well, such is life.

Hahahahahahaha - I quit Facebook!  Bwahahahahahaha!

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 04:13:51 PM »
You are totally done?  Just get sick of it or what?
CampusDakota.com

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 09:04:42 AM »
You are totally done?  Just get sick of it or what?

I got sick of spending so much time on it, and realized that it was probably contributing to not talking to people very much.  You end up knowing everything that's going on just by being on the site, but that means that when you talk to someone they don't have anything new to say, because their whole life is already in the news feed.

I also didn't like the new twittery interface, and I think Zuckerberg should suck it up and listen to his users instead of whining about how he couldn't buy Twitter.

It's very refreshing.

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 11:39:49 AM »
You know thats a good point and I really never thought about it much.  How are things like Facebook, Twitter, and texting changing our social structure?  Are they breaking down communication and how will they affect our ability to communicate and interact with others?

Will future generations not be able to interact in-person effectively?  I think that all of these communication mediums could be having a negative affect.  Of course people probably said the same thing about the mail, phone calls, emails, etc. ...
CampusDakota.com

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 12:16:50 PM »
I always liked AIM, once I got to college (I never saw the point in high school).  It's much better than texting to me, and less intrusive than some other things.

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 12:24:07 PM »
I always liked AIM, once I got to college (I never saw the point in high school).  It's much better than texting to me, and less intrusive than some other things.

IM works well, but I have noticed not a lot of people have it.
CampusDakota.com

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 12:32:52 PM »

IM works well, but I have noticed not a lot of people have it.
...because they are losers.

Although if I had my way there would be more ham radio operators in college.  There's nothing like beating down new technology with old and awesome technology.  Try texting when your cellular service goes down!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 12:33:45 PM by Sal Atticum »

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 12:33:59 PM »
haha :)
CampusDakota.com

Offline Meest

• UND
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 09:39:46 PM »
I never used it as a phone book... hhhmmm I never thought of it like that, because I never put my phone number on there... I wouldn't want everyone knowing my number, along with my address, my DOB, etc. Thats personal information. It baffles me that people put all that up there.

I saw it as a way to keep up with friends.

I still don't get twitter... mostly I think because I've had a phone with internet on it for 2 years now... Whats the point of 140 characters when I already have the whole damn thing in my pocket?

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 10:59:39 AM »
Meest, as much as you (or I) dislike it, your address and your phone number aren't private information, and haven't been for quite a while.  For example, if you call up Papa Johns, they know who you are even if you've never called them before.  They pay to have access to a phone number/name/address database.  Even though we all use mobile phones now, there is still a list.  I've just always found it easier to tell people where I live and what my number is; if I were concerned about privacy I wouldn't have a phone and I would never surf the web from home (IP addresses you know).

Twitter s all about what you are doing RIGHT NOW.  Unfortunately, to get the benefit, you have to be watching Twitter all the time, and it's not so important that I know everything that's going on with everyone else that I want to do that.  Like I said before, it used to be interesting to read people's profiles and find out more about what they wanted me to know about them; for the last few years it's become less about profiles and more about being connected all the time.

Offline Meest

• UND
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 12:20:07 AM »
giving my phone number to papa johns is in no way like Facebook. I have given it to them for business purposes. Being a business they have to abide by certain laws. If i tell them to take me off their list, and they do not comply. I have grounds to pursue other legal avenue's to solve the issue.

Now if I throw my phone number up on the Internet for all to see, I have not entered into any agreement with a single person, its more of a group, as I have picked what friends have access to my phone number. I haven't given it to them for the specific reason of providing me with a service such as Pizza delivery. I've provided it as a way to communicate with me whenever they feel like it. I don't expect nor have I had papa Johns call me up to see what I'm doing on Friday night, or if I can come over and fix their computers.

Add to the fact that if I do not have your number in my phone it does not ring, you go strait to voice mail. I do have a limited amount of annoyances on my phone. After working in a service industry you learn to protect your privacy so you do not have people calling you for personal tech support at 1am right when the 4th set starts and something breaks.

My address I could care less about, I have a door, It has a deadbolt. I have shades that close and a doorbell I can disconnect. If I ask you to leave and you do not, I will call the police to talk to you about the finer points of trespassing. If you head out onto the sidewalk/street go for it. I don't care.

Unlike you, I find it easier that less people know my number, as its usually for some annoyance that is of a business sense during non-business hours. I do not do that, and will not ever do that in the near future. My nights are my nights. call me during the day. I will honestly tell someone that if they call me after 6pm, then proceed to end the call. (I'm lucky enough to be able to pick and choose my business contracts I decide to pursue) If someone needs to get a hold of me and doesn't have my number, I do understand they could get it from a friend that has it. (Although most of my friends know better). But once again, it goes back to the voice mail. I am much more likely to answer your request via e-mail, as that gets pushed to my phone at all times, at any of my 4 accounts i generally use. And I am able to deal with it quicker and at my convenience, which isn't that what communication has come about to?

I do understand my predicament is slightly different than yours. As soon as I feel the need to fully invest in my side business I'll add a line onto my cell phone contract and have a separate line, which would alleviate most issues, besides the people that wouldn't get that if that phone is busy my personal phone is not a substitute for the work line. But they would hopefully be able to figure it out after a few calls not returned until the next business day.

So I guess its not so much privacy that the issue is, its more the interruption factor I wish to avoid.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 12:20:48 AM by Meest »

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 09:40:54 AM »
That makes a lot of sense for you, I guess.  I'm either much less useful to people, or they don't have emergencies I can deal with at inopportune times to me.  I'm a great deal less social, I imagine, so I don't have people calling me much at all.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic