Author Topic: Thy Neighbor's Bike Year in Review  (Read 1998 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Thy Neighbor's Bike Year in Review
« on: December 28, 2009, 11:03:55 AM »
Thy Neighbor's Bike is one of my favorite bicycle photography/involvement blogs, but the author has outdone himself by posting his best photos from 2009.  Alleycross, bike polo, social rides, fun bikes, it's all there.  Definitely worth a scroll through.

http://www.thyneighborsbike.com/?p=2215
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Re: Thy Neighbor's Bike Year in Review
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 12:39:07 PM »
YES!  Thy Neighbor's Bike is back up.

This is the sort of blog we need going on in town.  Any takers?
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
Re: Thy Neighbor's Bike Year in Review
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 11:28:21 PM »
The thing is... I really enjoy such things. I write lots and LOTS. My main issue is... and I think it really stems from me being out of a city for too long now... I'm either not totally up with the trend, or this is old stuff. Like... I feel like this guy is who I make fun of to myself? While at the same time taking part in it? If that makes sense... hmm... it doesn't. It would make sense to anyone on tarck, which is phelps and maybe in a blue moon beek.

Essentially this is a photo blog of this guy's lifestyle "on the scene" though? Am I getting that right?

I feel (and despite what many of you think of me) that I could probably (rather easily) write a very well pointed blog on cycling. The issue is, Grand Forks is probably the WORST place to do it.

1. There aren't enough cyclists/cycling activities to write about for any measurable length of time. Not a dis by any means, just a fact.
2. The community is small enough where if you wrote about person x it would get back to them, so everything you said would have to ultimately be guarded which, in my opinion, completely detracts from the purpose of writing. I don't want to or ever intend to write to just make fun of someone, but inevitably someone IS going to be offended by a comment you make no matter how good intentioned it was, and that person (because of the large percentage of the cycling population they'd represent) would have a significant effect on reader base, and this community (cycling) needs bringing together not driving apart over petty nonsense.

TO that end however, someone COULD write about how great things are and what there is to do and such on a bike, but see #1. It also presents the significant issue of having little to no contrast which presents its own particularities.

In short, I think it would dampen my creativity to an extent that would detract from the overall quality.
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic
anything