Author Topic: Facebook doesn't change anything  (Read 4765 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Facebook doesn't change anything
« on: May 11, 2008, 09:47:04 AM »
Of course, this has been said before, but here's someone else in support of the same idea.

IN THE MAIL: Supporting a candidate on 'Facebook' isn’t enough
Grand Forks Herald
Published Sunday, May 11, 2008
HANNAFORD, N.D. — I am part of the generation that is the fuel for such social-networking sites as Facebook and Myspace. These sites have been great tools for such things as projects, organizations and groups but especially for social-networking.

The sites have an astounding rate of traffic: I came across one group on Facebook, and as I scanned the page for a minute, the membership went up by a jaw-dropping 2,000 members.

Political groups and parties are using this rapid form of media to their advantage to tell people about important rallies, caucuses and debates. The information helps voters choose the best person for the job.

But there is a problem.

College-age voters can be the most devout and emotional political activists as history have shown. But they don’t go on to do anything about it. They will picket and protest but have a poor showing in the voting booth, where it matters most.

Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill, is the clear choice by college-aged voters, a fact that won’t help Obama at all — unless he can get those voters to get out and cast a ballot.

The best way to make strides and bring about change is to vote. Being a member of “Obama for President” on Facebook will not win him the presidency, but members’ votes on a ballot in a voting booth will help.
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline JakeJZG

• SHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
    • tl;dr
Re: Facebook doesn't change anything
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 09:04:21 PM »
Facebook can be an amazing tool - but you have to utilize it correctly.  I won't say how because I don't want the enemy to know.
Use Windows?  Want to know a better way?
Come join the East Dakota Linux Users Group!
http://talk.campusdakota.com/index.php?board=111.0
http://www.tldr.de/~edlug/

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 09:29:38 PM »
Facebook can be an amazing tool - but you have to utilize it correctly.  I won't say how because I don't want the enemy to know.

I absolutely agree--it's great for communication to a large number of people at once.  You just can't join a group called "I want my free doughnuts" and expect free doughnuts to be delivered.  You have to show that you want the free doughnuts by doing more than putting your name on a list.  You also have to show that you are responsible enough to use those doughnuts correctly, and that you have a good enough reason for getting them free.
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 11:39:26 AM »
Facebook can be a great tool, especially as far as communication.

Do you think all of the apps and what not take a way from or add to facebook, as far as communication or other?

... Though I suppose you cant add all the apps together, but generally?  Any apps that you consider as great fb tools?
CampusDakota.com

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic