Author Topic: GF MTB trails  (Read 5576 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
GF MTB trails
« on: August 02, 2008, 09:17:33 PM »
I just got back from a decidedly illuminating ride on the Greenway, due to the fact that I got fed up with trying to patch a tube that won't stay patched.  The recent industrial-strength mowage has revealed any number of four-wheeler trails of which I was previously unaware.  With a little work, I was able to ride the full length of the Greenway from downtown to where the houses get really big and expensive without riding on pavement all that much.

Since I've been thinking about the available space nearby for MTB trails, I was keeping an eye out, and I think there may be an opportunity here for some nice, pure (read: too narrow/twisty for ATVs) singletrack between the bike path and the river.  It wouldn't all be in the trees, but I'm impressed at how much space is in there.  I don't think it would be too much effort to clean out the four-wheeler sections just a bit (mostly the burdock is leaning into the trail and the stumps aren't cut low enough) and to build some tight, possibly rather technical singletrack. 

The length of this area is around five miles, say half of that is in the trees and three quarters is quite separate from the bike path.  I rode somewhere around 12 miles today, which I think is pretty decent.  Since the whole area is pretty flat (nowhere near the elevation change at TR), what could set the MTB trails apart could be their technical aspects: tight corners, rock gardens (which may have to be handbuilt over time), and maybe even a few obstacles/bridges made of some of the junk out there (there's a refrigerator I can see getting some use).  The only exception to this would be the extreme south end (by the police line tape and the paintball course, if you know the area), which is pretty wide open under the trees.

Additionally, flatter trails could be advantageous during the winter.  I know I would ride some decent trails just to keep from going nutso on the rollers, and maybe a future winter MTB race couldn't be discounted...

I'm going to try to make up some maps, at least of the existing trails, depending on whether I can borrow a GPS unit or not.  I'm no trail planner, but I think there are ways to make this work (and keep the trails accessible to bikers/runners and keep the ATVs /snowmachines out).  If anyone's interested in getting together for a couple hours a week to clip/build/design, let me know.  I think that with a little effort and some hard use to wear them in (go ride!) over the next few months, we could have some decent, rideable terrain right here in town.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 09:18:12 PM by Sal Atticum »
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Re: GF MTB trails
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 08:00:00 PM »
Okay, so I went out again today to take a second look at one of the sections.  Observations:

1)  Most of the growth preventing riding is burdock rather than trees.  It's rather easily hacked with a machete.

2)  Mud may be an issue, at least with terrain that is newly exposed.

Oh, and this.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 01:26:29 PM »
A little update.  I've been out with my machete trying to get rid of the green stuff that hangs out into the trails that are already there.  The main problem aside from that is the grass/etc. growing up in the middle.  What the existing trails really need is some hard riding by a whole bunch of people to wear through all that.

I've talked to a few people (you know who you are) about getting a group together to work on real mtb trails.  There seems to be some interest from someone official (parks?  the city? the "greenway committee?") in actually designing and cutting some real mtb trails (not four-wheeler trails, real singletrack).  I'm not exactly sure what they were told, but if anyone knows anything, please post up or drop me an email--I'm VERY interested in getting something designed and going.

I'll have the map up soon, I just need to fix some things that are currently incomplete.

For inspiration, here's an email from the NDCF list I just received:
Hi, I just wanted to get in contact with your group and find someone to talk to about the new trails we have at Indian Hills Resort. I am interested in having some sort of race or group gathering that would help get the word out about the trails. One rider from Bismarck was impressed and suggested a 12hour race. It would be fun and would help burn in the trials. He have a little over 6 miles of new trails that are built to IMBA specs. Now we just need riders. Please contact me and we can talk about the possabilities. visit our wedsite for some photos of the trail taken by Aleen Luethe. www.fishindianhills.com  and go to Gallery. my # at the office is 701-743-4122 Kelly Sorge

Offline Toaster

• UND
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 11:17:46 AM »
went out and rode a couple of the sections that you are talking about. there are a few spots that have some potential, although things get really muddy down by the river if there has been any rain. I think it would be difficult to build trails that would be sustainable with such wet ground because of the fact that most novice mountain bikers want to ride in muddy conditions. while that might be a lot of fun, it certainly doesn't make for long lasting trails.

Let me know if you are going out again any time soon if you want somebody to ride and brainstorm with.
Just try and step to UND Cycling if you wanna test your luck.

Offline Sloth

• UND
  • Lord of the Chainrings
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 12:38:40 PM »
Been busy and I'm way behind on the messages here (apparently dissertations don't write themselves).... but thanks for getting the ball rolling on this. 

I'm up for looking into this GF trail stuff..  Let me know if you go out, I'd be glad to take a better look at some of these areas.

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 05:21:09 PM »
Think for CX courses as well.

I can tell you regarding mud and trails that you simply need to run proper trail maintenance. If you leave a section muddy and run an event (or a ride) a rut gets created which ultimately makes it worse. If you check out some photos on wnymba.org you can see how to build a suitable "log bridge" into the mud. Basically cut a tree of whatever the necessary diameter (say... 4-6") into say... 8-12" logs and lay them into the mud thus creating a sort of aqueduct for water to still flow through and weight to be dispersed evenly across the trails.
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 06:00:17 PM »
I don't even really know what's involved for a cyclocross race.  That would be interesting to be able to do though

Still thinking about this, Toaster and I went out and rode last week and took some more looks.

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 08:06:14 PM »
CX is an off road race on road type bicycles with some obstacles put in the way that would typically require you to dismount your bicycle.
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 09:01:21 AM »
I finished the south section.  Some of the locations are approximate, but I think it's a good start.  Comments and suggestions are welcome.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 02:50:03 PM by Sal Atticum »

Offline sanders

• UND
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 10:20:28 AM »
if you want any help on the weekends or something let me know and ill for sure help out when i have time. i would like to check it out sometime.
Alone you are an athlete but on a bike you are a rocket

Offline Sloth

• UND
  • Lord of the Chainrings
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 12:43:59 PM »
Anyone up for checking out the marked trails on Sunday after the coffee ride?

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2008, 01:47:50 PM »
I should be up for it.

I may be going out tonight around 6 to cruise and chop one of the sections if I get some things done today.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2008, 05:46:14 PM »
Yup.  I'll be out for some indeterminate amount of time, probably on the section south of the golf course.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic